TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to get my front end-links and tension strut bushings replaced (http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?p=1429698#post1429698). Can't do it by myself, so I ask the "writer" at the local mechanic shop for an estimate. He fishes in the Alldata pond for a while and comes back with:

replace radius arm bushings 4 hours @ $100 $400.00
Stabilizer link, replace 1.4 hours @ $100 140.00
Total $540

He's getting $100/hour labor. Estimates 2 hours per side for the tension struts.

The link stuff looks a tad hi. The radius stuff is all wacky.

I guess the question is "What language does Alldata speak?". I think maybe this old guy is taking the wrong description to his Alldata PC. Garbage in, garbage out.

Anybody know enough about "Alldata-speak" to give me some idea of what description Alldata needs to get my estimates for replacing the tension strut bushings? I kept telling him "tension strut" and showed him a Ford diagram, but, evidently Alldata didn't like the phrase.

Note: I've ordered the bushings from www.fordpartsgiant.com using http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=135491&highlight=suspension+bushings as a guide. Should get 'em by next week.

Thx,
P

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Holy hell, I think my local Ford dealer charges less than that per hour. I don't call them tension struts, I call 'em strut rods.

If you're willing to pay that much, why not get a quote also from a Ford service dept?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holy hell, I think my local Ford dealer charges less than that per hour. I don't call them tension struts, I call 'em strut rods.
It's an independent. Their rate is in line with https://www.mechaniconduty.com/MapGraphic_email.pdf for MO (mis-labeled MS).

If you're willing to pay that much, why not get a quote also from a Ford service dept?
I was gonna, but ...

The local is McMahon Ford. I useta buy parts, pester the mech's now and then. Then, 4 years ago, I put the car in for state inspect., some room-temp IQ musta popped the shifter button (previously broken) when he parked it, it popped out, and the mech. freaked, told the svc. mngr., who ran me out.

The othr day I stood around there for 20 min. to see if they would help with an estimate. They totally ignored me. I dunno if they see it as a vendetta or what, but, either way,
they are derelict.

I'm still toying with the idea of driving 10 mi. to the next dealer.

Thanks,
P

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Take the 10 mile drive. It's worth a second opinion in my opinion ;)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Radius arms, tension struts, strut rods, all different names for the same thing.

However, I agree, get another estimate. Although you may have issues at a Ford dealer trying to supply the parts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Radius arms, tension struts, strut rods, all different names for the same thing.

However, I agree, get another estimate. Although you may have issues at a Ford dealer trying to supply the parts.
Ever heard of a dealer that would mix Moog and OEM parts being installed?

P

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Where are you at in Missouri?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts