TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't find a cheap manual for my MKVIII and was thinking of buying the
online subscription from alldata.com, is it any good ?
How complete are their write ups ?

Thanks

( hope this is the correct place for this question )

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
I have access to alldata and they are pretty good. Occasionally you will find something they do not have, but most of the time, everything you need is right there.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would just pick up a Factory Service Manual CD off ebay if I were you. I've used alldata and I wasn't impressed.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
The professional alldata is good but very expensive. The consumer version is about as effective as a haynes manual.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I use Alldata professional, and think it sucks. It's pretty vague sometimes, so I know the consumer version would be worse. I would get the Ford Service CD, it is much more detailed.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
I use Alldata professional, and think it sucks. It's pretty vague sometimes, so I know the consumer version would be worse. I would get the Ford Service CD, it is much more detailed.
It is vague sometimes. For instance try to get directions on adjusting the cam position sensor on a dis equipped 5.0 liter. I use the wiring diagrams from it alot.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
The wiring diagrams are nice, but I tried to get directions on how to set the timing belt on a 80's Honda Accord, and it showed my a diagram of a timing pointer, which I couldn't find anywhere near the timing belt. It neglected to say the timing pointer was on the other side of the engine, by the transmission, under a rubber plug. It made it seem like the pointer was near the balancer.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
Rich95XR7 said:
The wiring diagrams are nice, but I tried to get directions on how to set the timing belt on a 80's Honda Accord, and it showed my a diagram of a timing pointer, which I couldn't find anywhere near the timing belt. It neglected to say the timing pointer was on the other side of the engine, by the transmission, under a rubber plug. It made it seem like the pointer was near the balancer.
The best manual I have found for timing belts is the gates manual they give to the autoparts stores that sell the belts. My local supplier gave me last years copy because they get a new one every year. Try an 87 toyota celica there are no marks at all on the cam gear. I spent 4 hours one night setting it. A true pure blooded PITA.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts