TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to my first car auction today, looking for a car for my G.F.

They had two '91 T-Birds - one went for $600 and the other for $800 - both were in pretty good shape, too. But the one I almost picked up was a '96 Sport with 110K in really good shape, except it needed tires. It went for $1800. If I'd been there in time to inspect it closer, I probably would have bid up to $2000, (all my G.F. can afford). But since I wasn't able to check it out other than a quick look-see, I decided to wait. Hopefully, they'll have more in the future.

I couldn't believe some of the deals! It's definitely the place too look for inexpensive used cars, especially if you have time to check them out first.

Maybe next time...

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Well, you've also got to realise that sometimes you can find NICE cars for REALLY cheap. Ever seen a 2001 Lamborghini Diablo with only 26,000 miles on it go for $32,000? Yeah. It must suck when you're cruisin your Lambo and busted carryin coke with ya. A couple of pounds of cocaine will send ya to jail real quick.

·
Registered
108 Posts
You've seriously seen a Diablo go for 32 grand??!! Where exactly do they hold these auctions now?

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
Depends on the place and the PD. If you call your local PD and ask what recker service they use for towing and whatnot, then go ask the recking company. They're usually the ones who host them. But yeah, at a police auction, they start the prices at like $100 no matter what car it is. I've also seen a 46 ft Yacht go for like $20,000. estimated value...roughly $150,000 (i THINK. I don't remember much about the yacht, I was young and in Puerto Rico at the time.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Hmm...not doubting you or anything, but why don't more people go to those things? I've never heard of any deals that good anywhere. When I get ready to buy another car, that's once place I'll be sure to check out!

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
AverageJoe said:
Depends on the place and the PD. If you call your local PD and ask what recker service they use for towing and whatnot, then go ask the recking company. They're usually the ones who host them. But yeah, at a police auction, they start the prices at like $100 no matter what car it is. I've also seen a 46 ft Yacht go for like $20,000. estimated value...roughly $150,000 (i THINK. I don't remember much about the yacht, I was young and in Puerto Rico at the time.

Heh...I want a Diablo for peanuts compared to original puchase price.....too bad I dont have that kind of cash. :(

What were you doing in Puerto Rico??? Just wonderin'

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
My Mom and Step-dad lived there for 4 years. I got to visit them 3 times, so I've been to Perto Rico 3 times. :)

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
AverageJoe said:
My Mom and Step-dad lived there for 4 years. I got to visit them 3 times, so I've been to Perto Rico 3 times. :)
Cool. I've only been able to visit once. :(
My mom is from Mayaguez and my dad is from Ponce, Puerto Rico. I'd like to go again, but I won't be able to untill I graduate. I hope to get a position at the Arecibo radio telescope...but I don't know if that'll ever happen.

Another question about these auctions. Have the cars been thoroughly checked through? It would REALLY suck to buy a car, get pulled over, and then have drugs found in the fenderwells or something.

I assume that they have been...but you never know...
heh...never say assume..because it makes an ___ out of u and me
:D

·
Cougar Pilot
3,443 Posts
66dvlbrd68 said:
It would REALLY suck to buy a car, get pulled over, and then have drugs found in the fenderwells or something.
That's why you check it out yourself before you get pulled over and sell whatever you might come across, you might make the car's price back and then some! j/k

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
They're usually invite only. Hence dealers etc. But if you have a hookup, then you can buy whatever you please.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JJanney said:
I thought you had to be a dealer or represent one to actually go and bid on items at car auctions?
Actually, this is a national place that has both public and private auctions. The public on here had well over 200 cars. Here's the link - maybe you can check one out. They also list the cars up for auction - 'going the the next one again, (Benecia, CA for me), with a 95 LX already listed.
http://www.nationwideauction.com/ENU/default.asp

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Yeah when I bought my 95' from the junkyard, they told me they had just had an auction. He said it was open to anyine, you just show up. They had an older S-10, ran perfectly, just was rusty, with a canopy, and ext. cab, they sold for $50.
They would have auctioned my 95', but I didn't wanna wait.
Here they do check them out. they tell you whats wrong with it mechanically if there is, at a police auction anyway.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
AverageJoe said:
If you call your local PD and ask what recker service they use for towing and whatnot, then go ask the recking company. They're usually the ones who host them.

·
Sheepish
4,085 Posts
JJanney said:
K, sorry, I got all excited and then forgot your advice. I'll check it out when I go home. Duh... ;)
Makes ya feel dumb don't it? I've fallen victim to not payin attention more than once. ;)

·
Registered
20 Posts
getting a lambo for only 32k sound like a good deal. but what most people, including people here, done know is this....say you bought that lambo for 32k, you also get the remainder if the 100k+ note that was on the car ( if there is one ).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts