TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. I just got this HU, and want to put it in. I want to put it in myself, not because I don't want to shell out the money, but just cuz I just wanna do it myself. The problem is... I have no experience doing this kind of stuff, and conisdering I fried the stock HU when I was trying to take it out (you're probably wondering how I managed that)..... I don't wanna just throw away the $300+ i spent on the HU.

So, you guys think it's easy enough for me to do it myself? if so, could you guys let me know how to do it?.... or you think i should just go get it done?

i got a 93lx with the premium sound system (or so it says on the door)... so i was also wondering how problematic it would be to bypass the factory amp (im assuming there is one) (I'm guessing that using the internal amp on the 7894 is better than bypassing the internal amp and wiring it to the stock "premium" amp .... since i dont know the specs on the stock system)

any help or comments at all would be much appreciated guys. Thanks!!!!!:D

·
Registered
735 Posts
2 ways

They have amp integrator harness available from METRA. Usually the roll of the mill ford is usually the old 70-1770 but is now FORDAB2 I believe. But there are others like the 5600 etc...Metra has a website and catalogue but you can be given the right harness at any Circuit City or Harness. KEYS. You'll need keys. Ford keys. Best ones are made from metra cause they have balls on the end instead of slots. Better for pushing the brackets. Push them straight in or slightly angle away from the radio and then squeeze them in while pulling out. Outboard not inboard. Pull out and unplug. No antenna's adapters are necessary.

They other way is the much harder and more xpensive, bypass the amp. Use a 70-1770 for the power harness but run wire and tag the speaker wire's out from the amp that you have to disconnect all plugs to.

The amp integration is the way to go. Ill check further into tbird amps. Never seen a tbird amplified system. Ill get back at you.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks Robin,

I have the Ford keys from Metra. I bought them a few weeks ago and took out my stock HU.

Is this sound quality better with or without integrating the factory amp?

I'm gonna stop by circuit city or best buy today and see if I can find this amp integration harness. Maybe Pep boys or R&S Strauss might have it.... i'll go check.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
57 Posts
My Opinion

I have the "premium" sound and by passed the amp. to see how the HU sounded with just the Deck Power. Took about 5 minutes to do. Just had to unplug the connectors from the amp and plug the harness into each end. Cost me 15 bucks for the adapter and 5 minutes to do the work. I have the CDA -7893 60x4. It blows away the Factory amp.

I have sense added an Amp to the system to power my mains, but the Deck power is far better than the Premium amp from Ford. I bypassed it and then removed it.

You can by a simple harness that you plug into the two ends that plug into the amp. I actually cut my harness in half and solderd the wires to the harness that run to my amp so I did not have to run all new Speaker wire to the front of the car. If you are not going to run a seperate amp then the Deck power will be far better than the "lack" of power put out by the factory amp.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It is located

HANMAN,

ON the rear shelf on the underside (which is in the trunk) there is a black amp rack, in there on the passenger side there is a silver box, with some fins on the side.
This is the amp.

Make sure you do not remove that black plastic box to the left (driver side) of the amp.
You need that!

·
Registered
57 Posts
it is a....

AverageJoe said:
Ok. That other black box it your EVO steering module. What that does is this. The faster you go, the less pswer steering assist you get. That's to keep people from overcorrecting on the highways and having accidents. You can relocate that box just fine if you lengthen the wires as needed, but I wouldn't recommend taking it out. The should work fine without it, but I personally like having the feature. As for removing the amp rack/tray thing, good luck. You basically have ot resort to ripping or cutting it out. Not sure how its "supposed" to come out.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help guys..

one more thing. how do i get to the amp? can i take the shelf off? or does the amp disconnect from the shelf? To take the shelf off, do i have to take off the rear deck?

·
Registered
57 Posts
What I Did

Well , the only way to get to teh amp is to remove the shelve. I had to pull it out. You may even have to cut it out.

·
Registered
604 Posts
You can also remove the rear amp rack by going through the deck on the inside of the car, but its better just to pull HARD lol.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ok... so the amp rack is held up by 3 metal retainer clips (on the middle of the front side, back side and passenger sides of the amp rack), 1 plastic retainer (drivers side of the amp rack), and 2 nuts and bolts (on passenger side of amp rack). everything is easy to remove except for the nuts and bolts.

for the black plastic retainer, all you gotta do is just pull on it (not the shelf), and it'll come out.

the two nuts and bolts were a pain in the butt.. i slid a 3/8" (i think it was, or something close to there) wrench up through the sheet metal between the shelf and the rear deck. pushed up the insulation, loosened the nuts, then just took it off with my hands... actually, it really wasnt all that hard... just a pain in the butt to figure out...cuz i was pullin and pullin and pullin on that shelf... and it wouldnt come off..

well, anyway, so that's what i did, and its pretty easy once you know how to do it..

the rest of the stuff just pull.. (and if you're lying in the trunk doing it, don't hit yourself in the face...) :D

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
And if you truck falls shut because of a spoiler dont let it hit u in the *** or the...

If I wanted to bypass my amp wouldn't i just get to the amp and disconnect all the speaker wires from both sides and then soder them together? Is it really that hard to get to it. Because ill do this if it takes a half hour, but i dont want an hour job.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
nah.. not that hard.. shouldnt take you more than half an hour... less if you have a amp bypass wiring harness. (ie. Metra 70-5513)...:D

·
Registered
604 Posts
Where can i find this amp wiring harness bypass?

·
Registered
57 Posts
It is a standard part

Best Buy or Circuit City should stock them, Cost me like 15 bucks I think,

Just tell them you have the Premium Sound and they will know what you are talking about.

it looks like this >>>

You can buy it online here >>> http://www.tune-town.com/Cars/stuff/Ford/thunderbird_8997.htm

·
Registered
604 Posts
sweeeet

1 - 20 of 21 Posts