TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got my alpine the other day i open it up to check it out kool i like, then i notice a little zip lock bag with 2 wire looking things one is red on both ends the other is black. while checking the manual it said well i'll post a pic so ya'll can see what i mean explaining it is going to be a b*tch, its the top row single amp with single sub set up. what are these and what are they needed for? sorry for the pic being all crappy i scanned it so oops!
But its the top where if you look close says one amp one sub first has one of them
then second has the two of them what is it for bridging the speaker terminals i figure

·
Registered
958 Posts
i got the 4ohm dvc subs....... it is to run the sub at 2 or 8 ohm. read the directions on that sheet to get a better understanding. also u must run both vc's not just one

·
Registered
958 Posts
if your amp is not 2 ohm stable bridged you may want to get another amp.......or run the sub at 8ohm to keep your amp from burning up as most 2 ch amps are not 2ohm stable bridged, (thats why i had to buy mono amps). to run at 8ohm you want to connect the + and - in middle of the 4 connectors w/ one of those wires, and then run the outer + to + on the amp........and outer - to - on the amp. I hope this is helpful and i hope you take my advise for your amps sake. if by chance your amp is 2ohm stable bridged or you get another amp, to run 2ohm you will just use those 2 connections to connect + to + and - to -............ one more thing............"you must use both vc's or you risk damage to the sub"........alpine direct quote.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On this page of the manual it shows one amp with one vc for 8ohm? i think thats what that symbol is called , then there is the 4 vc used with one amp for 2 ohm thats the way i want to go is that a good idea?or the first page one for one amp with all 4 vc for 4ohms.

·
Registered
958 Posts
most 2ch amps are only 4ohm minimum stable bridged mode(normally 4-8ohm stable). if this is the case for your amp (which probably is)...... running the sub at 2ohm to the amp in bridged mode will destroy your amp!!! "the magic smoke is what makes the amp work, it's hard to get the magic smoke back in the amp" lol!!!
anyways..........go with example 1 to prevent damage to your amp or buy a mono amp (1 ch amp).........also you could buy a second type r (i assume from the manual it is an alpine type r) and run them in stereo mode (i.e.-1 sub to left ch., 1 sub to right ch.) 2 channel amps are stable 2-4ohms in stereo mode. once again i hope this is helpful and hope you take my advice so you don't destroy your amp.

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Had a Type-R last year. That's for wiring your sub for the correct ohms.

I'd recommend an amp meant to push 2-ohms, another sub that runs at 4 ohms (dual 2ohm), or just run it at 8, meaning it won't get as much power, but it won't fry your amp, which 2ohm will do.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
being that my amp is 2 channel why cant hook it up that way to the sub using both channels on the amp and sub and both vc's? the index does not show a hook up that way though. on the bottom of the amp it says 200 X2 rms continous power into 4 ohms then , 400 X 2 watts rms continous power 2 ohms. so can i bridge the amp and go with the 2 ohm setup? whew this tiring LOL.

·
Registered
958 Posts
i asked the same question at numerous forums (here and lots of audio places) never got an answer............ imo i would not do this ..........buy a new amp or wire the sub at 8ohm

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
88pimpin thats watts x2.....not bridged..... i want to know is his 2 channel amp 2 ohm stable in bridged (mono) mode? most 2 channel amps are only 2ohm stable in stereo mode....or 4ohm in bridged (mono).

·
Registered
958 Posts
just run the sub at 8ohm because i'm willing to bet your amp is not stable at 2ohm......

·
Registered
2014 Escape SE 2.0 AWD
7,557 Posts
Found this on a site, searching up Rockford Fosgate Power 800.2, looking at you CarDomain photos:

Rockford Fosgate 800.2:

200watts x 2 RMS at 4ohms
400watts x 2 RMS at 2ohms
800watts x 1 RMS at 4ohms (bridged)

So it looks like bridged is 4ohms. So you'd have to run it wired in parallel at 2ohms off of one of your channels, or 8ohm in series off of it in bridged mode. Probably looking at about the same amount of power both ways. I'd look into trading for a dual-2ohm TypeR or trading amps.

·
Registered
958 Posts
won't running 1 of the 2 channels be bad for the amp??? just be safe and run at 8ohms bridged

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'll go bridged with all vc at 2ohms, screw it! rockford are rated less than they really are. AAAAAAAHHHHH im going nuts here!!is there any one out there using a rockford with a type r sub, if so how?

·
Registered
958 Posts
i guarantee your gonna destroy that amp. i'm begging you not to because i've been there and it sucks. run it at 8ohm for now until you can buy a mono amp.

·
Faster than Porkchop
2,037 Posts
I have 2ohm alpine dual voice coil connected stereo to a mtx 2channel amp .
It bumps!

Edit : I went out and got a new speaker box connector for two speakers and connected that to each voice coil .
2chnl amp 2ohms

1 chnl x x to top voice coil
2nd chnl x x to bot voice coil

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
to put end to this i bought a alpine mono class d m850 500 watts rms x1 @4 ohms or 800 watts rmsx1 @ 2ohms. now please dont tell me it wont work with the 12" type r in 2 ohms.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.