TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well, I have a situation here, and I think it's the alt. Driving along, and all of the sudden the ABS light shows up, cannot turn trac. cont. off/on, the ATC resets and goes off, and the volt guage drops to below the 8 mark on the left of the guage, like before you start the car. It has done this once before during the extreme heat that St. Louis is getting, but it was fine after I went back out a few hours later. Now it's doing it again. Is this a stuck brush in the alt, or the reg. getting too hot and shutting the charge off? Really don't want to junk the alt. if I can fix it. I'm sure they're not cheap. batt. is less than a yr. old. Any ideas? :D

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Sounds like you have a short somewhere - even if your alt was crapping out, you would just lose voltage... but all the weird things with the acessories wouldn't be going on. Maybe a fuse or something is frying stuff.... you'll have to hunt to find it.

·
Registered
2,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought that too, but I haven't found anything, and the engine is clean- no chopping of wires. All is stock. Only seems to happen when it gets really hot out. I have noticed that the amp guage is a little on the low side lately, so that's why I was leaning towards the alt. Whatever it is, I need to find it. I think I'll get a new alt. today, and keep it just in case. Wife needs to be able to get to work somehow, and she ain't driving my crown vic. Any good places to start looking for probs. in the wiring? Never had an issue in 4 years since I got it, so just reg. maint. has been done. Figures, the warranty runs out in Nov. this year. Oh well, time to mod soon anyway;) . Oh yeah, there WAS an issue with the blower motor connection, and if it moved just right, it would shut off. Pulled it and re-attached the harness and all was well. One of the prongs that is built into the motor looked to be slightly melted where they go into the plastic body. Could a shorting blower motor cause all this? It works fine now after the r&r, so I doubt it. Guess I may want to check that too......:rolleyes:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have had to replace the alt twice now and those were the symptoms that i was getting. First it was the low voltage, then the trac asst lights, and then the airbag light will go on. This happened both times. One question i have is, when your volt meter is not in the Norm area(around 14.4) when you rev the engine, does the volt meter go back to normal. Because if that is the problem than it is a 95% chance that it is the ALT. The last ALT i got is from NAPA. It is a Remanufactured one, but has a lifetime warranty on it. Its a 150 AMP ALT i believe. I know its a bit higher than the stock ones(135?). I believe i paid somewhere around 300 for it. I know that seems a little high, but what i have gone through already with alternators, i dont mind paying the extra 100 dollars or so for the LIFETIME warranty.

Mike

1 - 4 of 4 Posts