TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my '89 SC, the altenator went out in a way I've never experienced but have heard of them failing this way. Instead of mine not charging, it began to over charge.....lights were brite as heck, radio was going on and off, wipers arms were flying, all sorts of crazy stuff. Got home, popped the hood, and the battery was boiling...even blew one of the caps off about 5 minutes after I got home (had the hood closed just in case that happened before it cooled down). Anyways, took it out to have it checked (that was a pain in the rear...more to do than I thought) and the readings showed the altenator was spiking out at 27.82 volts....have the slip at home. I'm guessing I was well over 200 amps as well....but can't say for sure.

Just courious if anyone has heard of one going out that high??

Oh, I got lucky and didn't fry anything except my high beams---blew both of them during my 15 mile drive home, but everything else works fine.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I had that happen with the mark 8 alternator in my car. I literally shut the car off on downhills and long straights with no cars behind me to avoid killing my optima on my way to work that day.

·
Banned
241 Posts
better to have to much pwer than none..hehe atleast you were able to limp it home..

·
Banned
998 Posts
Yeah it can happen you got really lucky and did not fry your EEC.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts