TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Long story short I got all the JMod parts today except the 1-2 lower accumulator spring.

The dealer said F7AZ-7F284-BA is no longer available. In Canada, anyway. Not sure if it's still available in the US.

As per Ford TSB #97-11-11, it looks like I have the option of using a F3LY-7F284-A (Purple) or F4UZ-7F284-A (Pink) spring. Or maybe even a 1L3Z-BA (Yellow) one.

Any guesses as to which one is closer to the spring pressure (specs) as the F7AZ-BA one?

I plan on putting in a lower spring, and from what I've read the lower the tension the better. If I can use one of those springs they're certainly cheaper than the F7AZ-BA ($30-ish) one anyway.

If someone here has a F7AZ-BA they want to sell, let me know as I may go that route if I need to....

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
So are you using one of your 'New" Trannys & New Main VB's or is this the 96 Tranny Casting & Main VB...?

My MK DD TC difers fm Stock & I have a buncha Sonnax parts in my 96 Main VB & Tranny so ??... but I went with Brown Upper 1-2 Accumulator Spring & Violet Lower per DD - Soft 1-2 under 2K RPM - Snappier over 2K RPM & very solid Shift @ WOT - as I'm sure you know the P/N are @

http://www.p71interceptor.com/tranny...rtnumbers.html

NET KEYM Posted this a while back:

As for the springs, I used the light blue on the top of the 1-2 piston (goes in bore first), and the purple on the bottom (goes in last after the piston). No springs are used at all on the 2-3 piston.

FWIW, here is a list of the springs in order of stiffness and the stock applications:
F7AZ-7F284-CA Dark Blue (94) (Grand Marquis, Crown Vic)
F7AZ-7F284-AA White (95-97) (Grand Marquis, Crown Vic, Tbird/Cougar, Mustang)
F75Z-7F284-AA Light Blue (98-00) (Mustang, 4v MarkVIII)
1W7Z-7F284-AA Light Green (01-05) (Trucks, SUV's, Vans)
F75Z-7F284-BA Brown (Ford trucks & vans, very stiff)

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've seen that. The whole point of my thread is that the lower violet spring is obsolete. The "order of stiffness" list doesn't cover the lower 1-2 spring which is the only one I'm having a problem getting.

p.s. Yeah, all stock 96 tranny stuff. I'm planning on putting in the sonnax pressure thingy as shown in dirtydog's video.

·
SuperNewbie
1995 Thunderbird LX 4.6 red
2,871 Posts
Just yesterday I bought a F75Z-7F284-BA lower spring. Got it from the dealer easily. That is the spring listed in Jerry's tranny thesis for the lower 1-2 Spring. It was brown. I'm pretty darn sure it is the same one I installed in my tranny 4 years ago.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Just yesterday I bought a F75Z-7F284-BA lower spring. Got it from the dealer easily. That is the spring listed in Jerry's tranny thesis for the lower 1-2 Spring. It was brown. I'm pretty darn sure it is the same one I installed in my tranny 4 years ago.
uhhhh... you mean Brown UPPER right? - Unless car is rolled over in a ditch on it's roof this Saturday AM... it happens.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No... The F75Z-BA is the upper spring for the high horsepower JMod (the other upper is a F75Z-AA for a mild MJod).

The F7AZ-BA is the lower as per http://www.tccoa.com/articles/tranny/transmission/page13.shtml

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
& Keep in mind the latest year I see referenced in Jerry's Epistle is 1999 - So the Gurus will tell you that EVEN THEY have learned some new things in the last 10 years PLUS.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I wish Jerry would do an update to the article ;) By now there are probably some other things worth mentioning like the Sonnax pressure regulator valve...

I found a F7AZ-BA spring in the US so I guess I'll just shell out the big bucks and buy that spring so I know I'm not going to screw anything up. Better safe than sorry when you know almost nothing about trannies...

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
I think Jerry has Retired... God Bless him ~!

Here's what's in my 96 Main VB with parts fm DD:

Sonnax Main Regulator Valve (black) & the shorter stiffer Spring fm 2001 Main VB.

O Ringed End Cap fm 2001 Main VB in 2-3 Shift Valve.

Sonnax Solenoid Pressure Regulator (black) Valve from 2001 VB but used the heavier 96 Spring vice the TEENY Sonnax Spring from the 2001 VB... & by teeny I mean it slipped over the small tit on the PR Valve vice bearing on the flat "lands" like all the other Springs do in the like PR Valves of both VB's

Stayed with Jerry's desired Orange (or Brown) Spring in Converter Clutch Servo & 0D Servo as the 96 Main VB already had both - (2001 main VB had longer lighter CC Spring with entirely different OD Servo Assy & 2001 Sep Plate has Feed Hole for it, etc...)

Mild JMOD settings on 96 Sep Plate in keeping w/stock Motor.

I went with Brown Upper 1-2 Accumulator Spring & Violet Lower per DD - Subtle 1-2 Shifts under 2K RPM - Snappier over 2K RPM & very solid Shift @ WOT .

·
Registered
345 Posts
i went to the junk yard and pulled them out of 4 cars 92 lincoln town 2 93 vics and a 94 vic to be sure they dont look violet anymore but they were free those 4r70w were supposed to have them and i got 4 of the same springs so

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
i went to the junk yard and pulled them out of 4 cars 92 lincoln town 2 93 vics and a 94 vic to be sure they dont look violet anymore but they were free those 4r70w were supposed to have them and i got 4 of the same springs so
That sounds like you have a nice stash of Violets~!

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
Cool. I took apart an 01 F-150 trans and it had a bigger outer spring and a smaller one inside of it. I took the larger outside one (yellow) and used it on my wifes mustang. It is crisp, but it doesnt have any of that drivetrain-damaging feel I get with no bottom spring, lol ;)

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
I think Jerry has Retired... God Bless him ~!

Here's what's in my 96 Main VB with parts fm DD:

Sonnax Main Regulator Valve (black) & the shorter stiffer Spring fm 2001 Main VB.

O Ringed End Cap fm 2001 Main VB in 2-3 Shift Valve.

Sonnax Solenoid Pressure Regulator (black) Valve from 2001 VB but used the heavier 96 Spring vice the TEENY Sonnax Spring from the 2001 VB... & by teeny I mean it slipped over the small tit on the PR Valve vice bearing on the flat "lands" like all the other Springs do in the like PR Valves of both VB's

Stayed with Jerry's desired Orange (or Brown) Spring in Converter Clutch Servo & 0D Servo as the 96 Main VB already had both - (2001 main VB had longer lighter CC Spring with entirely different OD Servo Assy & 2001 Sep Plate has Feed Hole for it, etc...)

Mild JMOD settings on 96 Sep Plate in keeping w/stock Motor.

I went with Brown Upper 1-2 Accumulator Spring & Violet Lower per DD - Subtle 1-2 Shifts under 2K RPM - Snappier over 2K RPM & very solid Shift @ WOT .
Bumping this!

Buck, (or anyone else!)

Looking to add the Sonnax pieces to my mild Jmodded 1997 valve body when I do my next fluid change. Anything else you could add?

I'll probably change out the 1-2 Accumulator Springs. Mine now has the light blue upper/no lower. The shift now is getting old and need to tone it down a little.

Joe

·
Super Moderator
11,017 Posts
Adding a lower eases the bite; I ran the brown upper with no lower for a while, and that was brutal. :)

It would bark the 1-2 at no throttle; even in a school zone. :facepalm:

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Rodeo Joe obviously you want to stay Mild on JMOD & SPRINGS if u still had a Roller Clutch in a 97.

I'm staging up parts now for J MOD in my "new" 95 MKVIII (58K miles) - I'm using the longer Plastic 2-3 Accumulator Piston like I did in the 96... NOT the Sonnax one - Other than that:

- IMO just go to Sonnax & get all the goodies that make sense for u're year,

- The AOD/4r70w O Ringed End Plug Kit is Sonnax PN 76999-med

- I'm gonna put Sonnax's Bypass Clutch Control for TC in the 95 (PRE95 needs this more than newer best I can tell).

- The Sonnax Main Press Reg Vlv but of course it's different PN for 95.

- Sonnax Boost Valve & Boost Sleeve fo the above.

- Sonnax Elevated Press Spring for Main Press Reg (PRE95 needs this more than newer best I can tell).

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Thanks Buck, that's what I was looking for! :)

If I have any questions I'll get back to you.

Joe

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
If I have any questions I'll get back to you.

Joe
Buck,

Looking on the Sonnax site at a few of the upgrades and it seems there needs to be boring done to open up the bores for the new parts. Is it really necessary?

Joe

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Reaming for oversized Valve Parts ONLY needed if your existing Bore is scored - The Reamer Tool & guide for it kinda expensive - So far I;ve not had scoring probs & used the original sized Parts not requiring any Reaming - With the plethora or 4r70w's parts out there I think I'd look for a whole new 99-2000 Main VB if I had a scoring prob.

·
Administrator
8,255 Posts
Thanks again, that's all I needed to know! :thumbsup:

Joe

1 - 20 of 22 Posts