TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ford strut rod bushings (sub-frame to strut rod) are the only way to go. Unfortunately, the ferrules are discontinued, leaving people to either pay $135 per side for correct custom machined parts or buy the terrible aftermarket bushings from Moog, Driveworks, etc.

Using the dimensions from the custom machined ferrule here, I searched online for a commercial part with the same dimensions and found these sleeve bearings (Boston Gear part #: 35658).
If you are using stock washers from Ford, the front washer hole will have to be enlarged to 1". They are 1.5" long, so you use 2 per side. However, they end up merely touching in the middle of the bushing assembly rather than fitting into one another like the stock and custom options - anybody see this as being a problem?

·
Super Moderator
10,666 Posts
No, I really see this as being the problem:

Material Oil Impregnated Bronze​
That's way too weak for that application.

Bronze is not a replacement for a steel support; it will crumble there.

·
Registered
3,762 Posts
Option #3: Use a Dremel and cut the flare off the inner sleeve and pry it out carefully, as to not pull the flat end through the washer. I'm not sure how well this option is for those of you up north ;)

Before Dremel:

After Dremel:

Left is careful removal. Right is not as careful.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info.
I've since found a steel alternative at FASTENAL. It's a "Type HL 3/4"ID x 1"OD x 1-1/2"L Steel Head Liner Bushing" made by All American Products Group, part #: HL64-24-3/4. Unfortunately, they are $15.76 each.

I've searched for other HL64-24 head liner drill bushings, but all seem to be around this price. If anyone can find a cheaper price or alternative please post.

·
Super Moderator
3,589 Posts
Thanks for the info.
I've since found a steel alternative at FASTENAL. It's a "Type HL 3/4"ID x 1"OD x 1-1/2"L Steel Head Liner Bushing" made by All American Products Group, part #: HL64-24-3/4. Unfortunately, they are $15.76 each.

I've searched for other HL64-24 head liner drill bushings, but all seem to be around this price. If anyone can find a cheaper price or alternative please post.
So, if I'm reading this correctly, we're looking at about $32 per side or $64 total?

I know that the other option is a quality option and it appears to be made to fit together whereas this doesn't really but at a difference of $71 it seems like it might be worth a shot. Are you going to try it?

·
Super Moderator
9,312 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts