TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, crap. I just found out my tranny has a pretty good seal leak, causing my clutch to slip like a mo fo in the upper RPM range. The Ford Dealership here wants to overhaul it and rebuild it back up. 1500-2500 dollars appproximately to do this!!! My car isnt even worth this amount!! So anyone out there know any better route to go with this? Local Mechanic maybe? Find a tranny outta a junkyard err something?? I even thought about getting a tranny out of a Mustang GT somewhere's.... man not a good day >_<.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
Click here ---> <a href=http://www.greenleafauto.com>Greenleaf</a href>

Search for a 98+ 4R70W trans from any car with a 4.6 in it, such as Mustang, Mark VIII, F150, etc. I paid ~550 for my 98 Mark VIII trans with 30K on it.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So any 98'+ Automatic tranny from say a Mustang 4.6L will bolt right up to my Cougar 4.6L? I found a hella deal on that sight ^. A tranny with 30k miles off a Mustang GT for $540.00. Is there anything else required or modifications for installing this tranny?

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
You will have to repin the harness to use that 98 tranny and if you want one to j-mod it will make a good starting point.
Talk to Alan aka Dirtyd0g and he can set you up with a good converter for it.

That is just an ok deal for that tranny with low miles by the way.

·
3rd Gear Chirper
2,399 Posts
The only other things you will have to do are:

1. Swap the MLPS and TCC solenoid from your old trans to the new trans.
2. Repin the electrical connector on the trans harness.

Completing the above-mentioned tasks won't take more than a half hour, even for a newbie. Before the new trans goes in you may want to J-Mod it, and no matter what, you should invest in a transmission cooler to keep the new trans happy. You don't need one right away, but the sooner you get it installed, the longer your trans will live. Remember, trans fluid starts breaking down at temperatures over 170 degrees. For every 20 degrees over 170*, the life of the fluid is cut in half.

When they ship a trans from the yard, they will include the torque converter also. The Mustang GT converter is the same part as the Mark VIII converter, and will give you better launches off the line. However, to install it, you will also need to change your flexplate, which is the equivalent to a flywheel on a manual trans car. If you wanna use your stock converter, it will fit with no modifications, but I strongly advise against it. By now, the lockup clutch is probably toast, causing shudder and contaminating the trans fluid, so I advise you to use the converter that comes with the trans.

Oh yeah, when you go to buy trans fluid get MERCON V, no matter who tells you otherwise or what your owners manual says, and do not add any additives to it at any time. Merc V has a higher resistance to thermal breakdown, and is superior to the previously recommended MERCON III.

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
check my article in the WIP forum, anything you could ever need to do to swap in a tranny is in there (with pics). And like hotbird said, use only Mercon V.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts