TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some help since I cannot find the wiring diagram that I need.

I was putting the alternator back on the car when the BAT wire (blk/org) that connects to the alternator hit a ground point and sparked a couple times.

After that, it seems the battery is not being charged (voltage meter going down and battery warning light comes on).

I start the car and remove the positive battery cable (hoping the alternator would keep the car running) and the car died. I took the alternator to be tested and it was bad. All this was expected.

Now, I've put on a re-manufactured alternator and I'm still not charging and the car will still not run when the positive terminal is disconnected. I've checked all the fuses that I think would be used (I have not removed/checked the mega fuse yet).

Everything else on the car works. Since I cannot locate a good wiring diagram to help me trace the wire from the alternator, I'm not sure where to go next. Could this be a fusable link problem? If so, where would this link be located?

1996 V8 4.6L

·
Super Moderator
9,246 Posts
Definitely take a look at/replace the mega fuse.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Once upon a time I had the dreaded ignition linkage fail and couldn't turn off my car. I disconnected the battery, no good. I put it in gear it still wouldn't die. turned on the AC, still no dice. Tried the headlights, still no good. the rear defrost finally choked it. I was running out of stuff to turn on.... From my experience the alt does run the car even at idle.

if you didn't disconnect the battery and you saw sparks, you most likely blew the fuse.

·
Registered
680 Posts
You can get them cheap at waytekwire.com. Much cheaper than any other place that I have found them.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
Once upon a time I had the dreaded ignition linkage fail and couldn't turn off my car. I disconnected the battery, no good. I put it in gear it still wouldn't die. turned on the AC, still no dice. Tried the headlights, still no good. the rear defrost finally choked it. I was running out of stuff to turn on.... From my experience the alt does run the car even at idle.

if you didn't disconnect the battery and you saw sparks, you most likely blew the fuse.
i had that happen to me too. it wouldnt turn off so i had to disconnect the battery and engage the starter for a split second so it would turn off, bad for the starter but i had no other choice at the time

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
FWIW, if your ignition switch fails On while the car is running, you can yank the ECM or fuel pump fuse and it'll shut down.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts