TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my alternator goes out every year. anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Nope. :D

Mine went out the week I bought the car with 4 years ago with 136K miles. It's now at 267K miles and hasn't had a problem. (It was replaced with an OEM alternator). :D

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
yea depends what kind of alternator you use. my car has 57k on it and still got the original alt.

Frank

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah...i just replaced mine that was 3 years old because my first one went out. My first one last about 7 years, then i got a system. So once i got the system i am on my 3rd alt now. Dunno if thats just me, but i guess the more you use it the faster it goes out.

hope this helps

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Blake-vortech said:
You can't buy the Autozone rebuilds its a crap shoot. Get a motorcraft one
I agree, motorcraft seems to work best thats what i use. although autozone has a lifetime warrany so if you dont mind changing the alt. more often, they'll give you a free one everytime yours breaks, which isnt a bad deal.

Frank

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
Lost my alternator today at about 190,000 miles, and I am dissappointed that Ford didnt build a more durable part , as the rest of the car's holding up pretty good, go figure....

·
Formerly Fdawg97LX
3,186 Posts
Leland Jacobson said:
Lost my alternator today at about 190,000 miles, and I am dissappointed that Ford didnt build a more durable part , as the rest of the car's holding up pretty good, go figure....
i'd say you got your money's worth with that alternator. 190k is pretty durable in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
'Ekshully', Ive gotten my moneys worth out of the whole darn car, and the $175 after core exchange at napa made the cost reasonable enuff, but still, would be nice if Ford built things a tad stronger... he he

·
Registered
242 Posts
Buy the Palladium (premium rebuilt Motorcraft) alternator at Advance auto parts. You can go to the website and order it online, then go pick it up at the local store.
It has a limited lifetime warranty, like Ford

·
Registered
175 Posts
or if you really want a lot of power output, Stinger makes alternators that provide anywhere between 135 - 270 amps output. they would be good if you had a big sound system and didn't wanna worry about not having enough juice to run it and the headlights at the same time.

not sure if they make one for the 'Bird, Coug, etc. or not, but if so, it would be a good choice (but probably pretty expensive, depending on the amperage that it puts out)

·
Registered
146 Posts
wow i should check into getting a new alt. I always hit my amp switch if i'm getting ready to drag. I know that my system robs me of valuable power off the line.

·
Registered
175 Posts
well, if you're worried about losing time when dragging, you're actually probably gaining more time due to the weight of your stereo system (especially when you have subwoofers in a box) than because of any power being used up by your amp(s).

so if you're really serious about getting the absolute best times, take all your stereo stuff out for the weight savings. But if you're like me and gotta have a nice loud (but of course, also clean-sounding) system, then you may wanna look into a new alt, especially if your lights dim at night when the bass hits.

·
Registered
146 Posts
oh yeah. read my sig. Tell me if you think it would sound good. I know i'm in the top 3 when it comes to systems in my town. I've only put about $900 into it. I don't want to go overboard. Then again. I'm thinking about getting an addition sub. maybe a '15. Then i can lower the tone on my twelves and let them do a little higher work. Use the 15 for that grunty deep rattle the car next to you pounding bass. Shyeah. that sounds good. ahh. there i go. Before i know it i'm gonna end up sinking all my money into my car.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts