TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Got a 1994 3.8 I was wondering which was the best way to get the pulley off of the alternator when I did my underdrive pulleys awhile ago I didnt switch out my alt. pulley figure I have time now might as well is there a pulley removal tool I can buy for just this purpose or am I gonna have to try holding it and try to loosen it with the other hand any help is greatly appreaciiated Thanks Justin

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
If it's the kind with the external fan, I removed one by putting a pipe wrench on one of the blades of the fan and removing the nut with a long breaker. Hope that works out for you :thumbsup:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope my car is 94 130 amp alt the fan is on the inside thanks though I really need to figure this out as soon as I possibly can

·
The Parts Guy
7,360 Posts
It's not too difficult to do with a impact. I just leave the belt on it and break it loose with an impact, then remove the belt and take the nut the rest of the way off.

-Rod

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
Or you could do like this poor boy (me) who can't afford an impact wrench, put a wrench or socket on the pulley belt with a breaker bar slipped over the end of the wrench/ratchet and hold onto it reeeeeeal tight, then have a friend crank the engine over just once for each bolt, however many there are. I had to do this to put on my underdrive crank pulley :gapteeth:
-Thomas

·
Confirmed V6 Nut
2,261 Posts
Or see Mike Albee. He did mine.

I got to see if Mike is done puting his new winter beater together this weekend.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got the crank done when I did my pullies easy as cake I just held the crank pulley in one hand and cranked on the 4 bolts with the other the alternator pully is so small i cant hold it and im not using the impact wrench because I heard it can knock diodes loose or somethings

1 - 7 of 7 Posts