TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running my ford crown victoria recently without the top alternator bracket installed for an alternator swap project. I noticed something interesting, the alternator would tilt forward whenever the a/c compressor clutch would engage, and tilt backward when the clutch released.

There had been some debate here as whether having the top alternator bracket installed was really necessary or not. Now you can see for yourself that it bears some load under normal operating conditions and has a purpose other than holding the spark plug wires in place.

Here are a couple links to the videos i took with the camera on a tripod:

http://www.p71interceptor.com/alternator/mpeg4video/notopbracket1.mov
http://www.p71interceptor.com/alternator/mpeg4video/notopbracket2.mov

to view these videos you need mpeg4 support. microsoft windows 7 has this builtin.

but if you have windows xp, you need to install additional software to view these videos. there are a few different software packages avaliable for this, but one popular free one is apple's quicktime.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download

·
Registered
5,408 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ok thats scary, I didnt install the bracket I got with my PI upgrade kit because the bolt holes weren't even close, do I need a different alternator or something?? I reused my stock 97 alternator.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
To me that is a no brainer: Two mounts in a straight line is extremely weak especially when the load isn't centered/balanced. A third mount on a different plane adds significant strength.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
yep I have a bolt that goes from the bracket to the top of the Alt that helps with the load :)

·
Super Moderator
10,274 Posts
On my old all plastic manifold, I left out the passenger side upper bolt to cut down on the torsion applied to the coolant crossover.

You can break the crossover on a really good shift, BTDT. :rolleyes:

Metal crossovers I use both.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
if you are worried about load on the alternator bracket during hard shifts, had you considered upgrading to an alternator with a clutched pulley?

the alternator pulleys with the overrunning clutch will act like a normal pulley during normal driving. but if you accelerate hard, the pulley clutch will freewheel during the abrupt changes in engine crankshaft speed that accompany the hard transmission shift.

clutched pulleys are avaliable on the ford 4G, ford 6G and mitsubishi police interceptor alternators. unfortunetly, no 3G units exist, so you'd have to custom fabricate a mounting bracket or use one from a different ford vehicle that originally came with one of those alternators.

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
Neat!

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
I've been down this road as well. The stock bracket wouldn't fit with the KB, so I had to make up a little replacement for it. I just didn't trust the two lower bolt bosses to handle the load on their own.

You can kind of see why in this pic. The plug wires barely fit between the alternator and the blower snout.

And I know my junk is dirty...haven't had a chance to clean the car yet this year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts