TCCoA Forums banner

Alternator Wire Replacement

3K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  T6Rocket 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I'll get you up to speed here.

I am having a battery light come on sporadically. It doesn't seem to change regardless if the car is at idle or at high rpms. It just seems to come on and off at random.
Took the battery out and had it load tested and it failed. The car has been sitting for 2 years and the battery was 5 years old so I'm not surprised.

Now I just finished replacing the battery and the problem still exists. I have now moved on to replacing the alternator. This is still the original alternator from 1994 and has about 120,000 miles on it.

I got the alternator off and one of the connectors is cracked and split pretty bad, and the retaining clip is busted.
I am wondering what this wire/connector is called and where I might be able to buy a replacement?

I believe this wire connects/bridges the stator in the alternator. It's just a single black and white wire that ties into the other 3 pin connector that plugs into the alternator.

See less See more
#2 ·
You mean this one?

Amazon.com: Pico 5747PT Ford Alternator Pigtail Connector Wiring Harness Regulatr 94+: Automotive

I think you're right, it's the stator connector; but it's available after market, so ...

I'd use solder and heat shrink to replace the whole connector, or release the wire from the old housing and the new housing, and put the new housing on your old connector.

RwP

EDIT: If you MUST be pure Fomoco, Summit sells the right part. Motorcraft 5U2Z14S411SB Motorcraft Wiring Connectors | Summit Racing

#3 ·
Regarding the alternator, I would take it to an electrical shop for testing, and let them repair as necessary. Electrical shops are few and far between, but they are usually really good.

I took mine to a local big name box store, and it tested out good despite having major problems. Those guys don't know what the hell they're doing.

Ralph: good tip on the wiring pigtail! I saved that in my Amazon wish list. OP: you should be able to unlock the connector from the wire and swap on the new one with no splicing. Practice on the old one.

Al

#5 ·
There's an Alternator and Starter repair shop about 30 mins from where I live. Called to get a quote and having the original one completely rebuilt was going to be just as much as buying a brand new Alternator.

Went with an AC Delco Professional/Gold off Rock Auto instead.
Hopefully that fixes my problems.

#6 ·
Right, it cost just as much, but it's rebuilt with better parts than the Chinese version, and they only replace what's bad. My last two MN-12's had 220k miles and 187k miles when we sold them, all on the original alternator. That's why I want to use that one to build on.

Any part you get from a Chinese parts store is a "5-year part", meaning if you get 5 years out of it, you did good. When mine failed, the car shut off and left me stranded. I don't want to have the thought of that day looming every time I drive the car with a Chinese alternator.

Though, AC Delco makes good parts. The only name brands I had available were Denso and Bosch. I don't shop at Rock Auto.

Al

#7 ·
Though, AC Delco makes good parts. The only name brands I had available were Denso and Bosch. I don't shop at Rock Auto.

Al
You are aware that you can buy Denso and Bosch at RockAuto, right?

RwP

#8 ·
I don't shop at Rock Auto, I was talking local stores. I'm getting the alternator repaired, which is taking a while. Remember, it was your suggestion?

I originally looked into a Ford replacement, but it is only 115 amp vs 130 amp stock. Plus my Ford guy is on vacation.

Al

#9 ·
Heh.

I'm a strong believer in "Rebuild, reuse, recycle". Hence my keeping the Dakota and Cougar running instead of buying new cars.

But I was pointing out that most brands can be found at RockAuto; I just pick with care just like I would at the local parts houses.

RwP

#10 ·
Amazon has rebuild kits cheap; I went that route.

Reactions: XR7-4.6
#12 ·
Well, it's taking forever for them to rebuild it. I already called them once.

Al

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.