TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
What's going out on the altenators? Is it the regulator, stator or field or is it the bearings. Speed won't have much negative effect except maybe for the bearings. If all 4 are from the same place (ie VatoZone), try somewhere else. I used to work at the Zone and have seen our entire inventory of a specific part number be bad. Otherwise, check the rest of the charging system very good, especially the grounds.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When I had my 89, I got mine from there cause I worked there and I had to change it out around every month. Trade the next one in towards a new one. I think they are only 25-35 bucks more?

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
Try haveing an issue of bending the pulley shaft.I went through 4 alternators in about a year because it would bend and wobble.This last time was in the middle of a WOT 2-3 shift and as soon as it shifted the belt started screaming.I popped the hood and yup the damn pulley was wobbling like crazy.Took it back to pepboys and got my money back and bought a new one from Carquest.So far so good.

·
Premium Member
1,371 Posts
Try haveing an issue of bending the pulley shaft.I went through 4 alternators in about a year because it would bend and wobble.This last time was in the middle of a WOT 2-3 shift and as soon as it shifted the belt started screaming.I popped the hood and yup the damn pulley was wobbling like crazy.Took it back to pepboys and got my money back and bought a new one from Carquest.So far so good.
I've seen this before, but the cause was the spring tensioner. It had a spot that would stick so when the belt would stretch under acceleration it would tighten up and then pop back to normal. Took me a little while to find it but after the tensioner was replace the problem never came back.

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
I've seen this before, but the cause was the spring tensioner. It had a spot that would stick so when the belt would stretch under acceleration it would tighten up and then pop back to normal. Took me a little while to find it but after the tensioner was replace the problem never came back.
I'll keep that in mind.Might have to go and buy a new tensioner.Might as well.It is the original tensioner.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I used to work at the Zone and have seen our entire inventory of a specific part number be bad. .

Same thing happened to my Tbird. The one that failed was in there for many years. Thought nothing of replacing an alternator on a 10 year old car.
It's the replacements that frustrated me. The 1st replacement was a Bosch and it failed 3 blocks after leaving the garage that replaced it.
Next one was a month later.
Next one was about a month later too.

Tired of having alt's replaced under warranty. I removed the last failed one and took it to a local rebuilders. Told them this is the 3rd one. They hit it right on the head when they asked me if they were all from the same place.

The shop opened it up and showed me what failed. There system improved on that part. They cover a soldered joint in epoxy so it can't vibrate apart.

It's been on there since.

·
Banned
2,009 Posts
I have discovered over the years that the stock alternator will tend to die if operated at high RPM's for undetermined periods. I used to have a alternator failure shortly after a dyno pull... I solved the problem when I upgraded to the GT Alternator.
:)

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have seen many different makes of vehicles have problems with the aftermarket reman alternators. My suggestion, if possible, get a factory rebuid or new, or find a rebuilder that can do it for you. Lots of avoided headaches.

·
Registered
171 Posts
just got another alt. the alternator is putting out fine but its not charging the battery. im getting 26 volts straight from the back of the alternator lead and off of the housing. but its not getting to the car or the battery. whats going on?
26 volts...that's a bit high...way too high. For it to blow a 175 amp fuse, that's a lot of current. More than the starter requires to start the car if it's warm. It sounds to me that you have a bad regulator in that alternator.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I have discovered over the years that the stock alternator will tend to die if operated at high RPM's for undetermined periods. ...:)
Another reason to run underdrive pullies.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts