TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all, I have a few questions maybe someone can help.
Does the Mark 8 DOHC 4.6 have an aluminum block?
If so can you use that block and put on the 2V 4.6 heads on?
I have a 97 Tbird and looking for an 4.6 aluminum block that I can use in my car.
Thanks, Woody

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Yes, the Mark VIII has an aluminum block, it is the better Teksid one, versus the Windsor one in the Explorers.

Yes, you can make a 2v Teksid block engine. A number of people have or are doing that, I have read a number of posts on what you need to do here.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Ok to answer the questions though here is a list of what you need, and what you need to do, or as best as I know since my build is still ongoing.....

Timing parts you need different swing arm guide pins and swing arms, the stationary guides are the same as are the chains, and gears. The tensioners should be specific to the head your using, or so thats my guess. Anyways here are the part numbers for the pins and arms
2 pivot pin bolts YR3Z-6K282-AA
LH swing arm 1R3Z-6L253-AA
RH arm 1R3Z-6L253-BA

A picture of where you need to drill the hole in the block for the water passages to line up correctly,
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=117518&highlight=drill+hole+teksid

Also you can use your front cover or source a 94-95 T-Bird cover as all the holes line up correctly on the latter. Your orginal I'm told will have to have some RTV to seal up an errant hole, but I don't know what one or where it is.

Aside from those points, the rest seems to be pretty straight forward, just make sure you get the correct bearings, main bearings are aluminum block specific, and all rod bearings are the same you will prolly have to piece together a gasket set, but most everything is readily available. And depending on what heads you use, if you are going this far, to not at least put a stock PI top end on would be a waste IMHO, you will need the right gaskets accordingly. Believe me when I say there are far far far more knowledgeable people on this forum but these are the things I have found after extensive and exhausting research. Your best friend is the search button, use it as much as you can on every forum you can find and buy some books. Just keep in mind things everyone says to do to the motors, with the exception of the people here, applies to Mustangs generally, and not everything will cross over to the T-Bird platform, i.e. better oil pans and oil pumps, I got fooled on that one. Good luck with the build and don't be shy, we don't bite...much :D

·
Registered
5,409 Posts
Me three more than likely I'm torn between teskid ported pi 2 valve and p&p 4 valve.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
I do, he brought me over so I could buy your spare Teksid block :D

·
Premium Member
271 Posts
I seen that - I like the deal but spent the money(This was about a month ago). I am currently saving again. I plan on watching yours to see if it sells between now and then.

·
Registered
6 Posts
right on man i got the motor out of the other mark8 now so anytime you wanna come by and get the pan from me...hey also got a pi motor out of a 2000 grand marquie know anybody looking?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts