TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering what year mark VIII's came with aluminum control arms........all of them? and which ones do i want to swap to my 95 t-bird. is the only reason for this swap to make it lighter? or are they better? i see mark VIII's in the junkyard alot.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Any year can be used, and yes, they are lighter and maybe can be made to look better. You need some sort of way to use coil springs with them though.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
There is a tech article over on SCCoA on how to make coil spring perches for the Mark VIII lower arms, but it is in the Members ONLY forums. If someone can host the PDF for me I'll post it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Only the rear arms are aluminum on the Mark, and the uppers aren't really worth swapping...take a look at your rear upper arms and see how many pounds you think you're going to save by going to aluminum.

·
Registered
97 Posts
What do you want to know? Guess I should finish that tech article someday. Thomas A of Nebraska was having a shop cast another batch of perches again last year. Mark upper arms are steel, but have lightening holes cut out of the top face.
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=33957&highlight=Mark+LCAs
http://forums.tccoa.com/showthread.php?t=37415&highlight=Mark+LCAs
There are alternate ways of holding the springs in place. I will try to work on some diagrams for the article. And get the photos back up in the old posts. I have Mike's blue-print for the perches if you need it.
Generally, unsprung weight is worth double the benefit when droped.
Stock steel =30lbs each
Stock Mark Alum =15 lbs each
Mark Alum with casting bosses removed =~13.5 each
All without hardware ect.
Perch =4lbs each

·
Beer and Cheese
7,386 Posts
Can this be done...

What if you could cut the bubble area out of the bird / cat lower arms where the spring sits on the arm. Sand it, paint it, trim it so that it will fit in the Mark arm?

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Like I said, IF someone can host the PDF file, I've got the dimensions for aluminum spring perches for the Mark VIII LOWER arms (circled in red in above post) so that you can have a machine shop make them for you....

Let me know who to send the file to.....

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts