TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year did Ford officially start using PI intakes with aluminum crossovers? This question comes from seeing several people selling intakes without aluminum crossovers that came off cars as late a 2000 (Or so they say) I just dont see the purpose of buying a PI intake that is no more reliable than our factory NPI intakes.
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
I think they started using them in 2002 correct me if i'm wrong

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next question. My car has 116,000 miles and I assume that it still has the original intake on it. (I've only owned it since Nov '04 and its plastic) Now I heard that the replacements Ford offered for a time were a "thicker" plastic version. If this is true then how would I check to see if the recall was performed on my vehicle?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
Hmmmm i'm not exactly sure on that. I would maybe call a dealership to see if you can get a number or a website that you can put the VIN in to see if it was worked on or maybe if you either bought it from a dealer or private party maybe give them a call.

·
Registered
101 Posts
You would go to your Ford service center with your VIN. Ask them to run your car. They'll tell you what options it came with and what recalls were performed as well as what recalls are open that it might have had. Also, what service the car received in its lifetime at Ford. The best part is that options thing as now I know what my car came with.
Ralf

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info guys!!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
MattsLE97 said:
I think they started using them in 2002 correct me if i'm wrong
Yep, mid 2002. So if your going to buy an intake, it must be off an 03+ to be guaranteed to have the Al crossover.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
thats what i thought. I knew they made them for the 03's since i bought one from an 03 but i wasnt exactly sure when in 2002 they switch over

·
Registered
81 Posts
Manifold Recall

I was instructed by a Ford dealer service manager to call 1-800-392-3673 (It sounded like I was talking to Bombay). I gave them my VIN and I was told the date and dealership that replaced the manifold. Sorry to say it was an all plastic one. I have heard rumors that it is thicker than the original.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I can only assume mine was changed also, to another composite crossover one :(

The one on the car now has the threaded inserts for the COP setup that my 2000 Grand Marquis has.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i really dont think that the replacement before the aluminum crossover was thicker plastic. when my manifold was replaced i was working as the parts manager at the dealership and i ordered it directly off of the number that was on the tsb. the part number didnt change from the original that was on the car. usually when there is any kind of revision the the part structure then it will be reflected in the suffix of the part number. and the stamped number on both manifolds were the same.

im trying to think of a way that ford could get around changing the part number but i cant. because i remember back in the day (before the tsb was out and ford didnt know what was going on exactly with the manifolds). people were coming in with this problem and dealerships were keeping two or three of these manifolds in stock. ford would've had to change the number if the manifold structure was upgraded in order to prevent dealerships from using their previously stocked manifolds. i know that if ford had actually upgraded the structure of the manifold then they would have not made it possible for dealerships to use the older version because it would have cost them more in labor than parts to replace said manifolds.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So what would be the purpose of replacing the manifolds on cars that didn't fail? Seems like if they were going to do that then they would only warranty the ones that cracked and let the others slide to save money. But your probably right.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
doubleclutch said:
So what would be the purpose of replacing the manifolds on cars that didn't fail?
So they don't fail leaving you on the side of the road. I think a few people even needed new engines due to the failure.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
doubleclutch said:
I just dont see the purpose of buying a PI intake that is no more reliable than our factory NPI intakes.
[shameless plug]....because I'll sell someone my "all plastic" 2001 PI intake for $50.00 + shipping, instead of you having to spend 3-4 times that on one with an aluminum cross-over. [/shameless plug]

PM me if anyones interested :D

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
The plastic manifold field action which Ford took was a warranty extension, not a recall. So, if your manifold failed within 7 years or 100,000 miles, you got a new one free. But, they were not inviting all the owners to come in for a replacement.

Also, there were manifolds with thicker wall section in the coolant crossover which went into production cars (not sure about service parts) before the aluminum crossover was introduced.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts