TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe I've seen this mentioned here before but thought I'd bring it up again.

I ordered left & right lower control arms from Rock Auto last week and got them Sat. I'm heading down to a friends place tomorrow to do the whole front suspension. I decided I's better check the boxes. Both Moog boxes but one was a Moog with a greaseable ball joint and the other one a TRW with a sealed ball joint.
The Moog uses a castle nut with cotter pin and the TRW uses a lock nut.

Quite honestly the TRW looks like a better LCA than the Moog. Well at least I got a left & a right. I could have ended up with two lefts or two rights.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Could you post some pics?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I got a right lower last week. moog box was opened previously. Had a TRW arm with the lock nut that I couldn't get on so I went back to the OE lock nut. I think the TRW nut was crushed too much.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I have the exact same situation with the pair I ordered for my Mark VIII a few months ago.

I'm just not going to worry about it and install them as is.

·
Super Moderator
1997 Thunderbird 4.6, 1998 Mark VIII LSC
9,579 Posts
One thing I do like about the Moog lowers is the castle nut vs. the lock nut that comes with the TRWs. I find it much easier to get the nut on and torqued down when the ball joint isn't spinning in the spindle with the nut as I try to tighten it. On a side note, the way I found to get the lock nuts on is to use a C-clamp to compress the ball joint into the spindle then heat the spindle up real well with a torch, obviously being careful to avoid the ball joint. Once it cools I use a little WD-40 on the lock nut as it goes on with an impact.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I got two sets of Moog UCA's from Amazon at the same time, came in 3 different shipments, Amazonian style! One set was really thick steel, and the other was thinner like stock.

The boxes were labeled a little different, but I think they both said "Federal Mogul".

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts