TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i tell friends about my car I usually tell them "its basicly a mustang with a differnt body" Because alot of people underestimate the power of a 4.6 v8 on the thunder bird.

Am i correct in making this statement?

·
motor city poster
2,029 Posts
to be honest, lets see... it has maybe a mustang driveline... (engine, trans, and differential) all have differences though... engine is de-tuned compaired to mustangs, different torque converter in the trans, and then the diff is irs as oppsed to solid axle unless 99+ cobra..

but other than that, almost everything else is different.

i more use the fact of having the same drivetrain/driveline as the mustang. then everything else is different.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You're not way off...in the performance sense, I suppose.
Panels, speakers, sway bars, exhaust blah blah are all different. But you're starting with almost the same driveline. But do the speaker panels and the carpeting and all of those stupid little things that make them DIFFERENT matter much in terms of performance? I hope not.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well yea thats basicly what im saying.

If you took the tbird body off. And was only left with the drive train and enigine sititng there. it would be rougly the same.

IE: a mustang with a diffrent body.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
But performance depends on the overall weight of the car too. All those bits and pieces that aren't the same add up to a good bit of additional weight for the Tbird...

I doubt the 0-60 and 1/4 mile times for the 97 4.6/automatic Tbird and Mustang are comparable for example. Not likely, the birds detuned and the stangs lighter to boot.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
You do know Ford doesn't allow any Ford in the Mustangs price range to outperform the Mustang don't you? That's a big no no. I wouldn't be surprised if Ford thought your comparison is downright Libelous. lol

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
li·bel·ous Pronunciation[lahy-buh-luhs]
–adjective
containing, constituting, or involving a libel; maliciously defamatory.

Ahh! ok now that i understand your word i can let out a lol
lol

·
Super Moderator
10,408 Posts
Our suspension is MUCH better...

As long as the shocks aren't shot.

The only mustang even close is the cobra, and what did those cost new?

Of course, the Saleen has the same cobra rear, but the front suspension is the standard crap mcpherson...the saleen wouldn't even do donuts...the rev limit/traction control shut the car down on wheel slip; we took pics of my black Cougar doing donuts around the Saleen; my buddy with the infiniti G35 even got in on that action...lol...dude with the saleen was So pissed.

Picture this; Black 96 cougar, followed by an infinity sideways around the Saleen...priceless. Even the infinity cost less than the Saleen...

One of our mech engineers has a 99 Gt mustang; he can't even hang with me in the curves going to our plant; he pushes out on the corners so much he has to let off...quarter mile times aren't everything. he paid over $20k for his; I paid $3k for my red one. He can't catch either the red or black one...

Saleen owner ended up selling his at a loss so we would shut up.

·
Registered
3,180 Posts
I think the crowd Ford is targeting with the Mustang is more interested in performance numbers and burning rubber then stuff like "handling". lol

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
Calling it "a Mustang with a different body" is not right, in my mind, because that implies that it's on the same platform, and it definitely isn't. I also think it's an insult to the Thunderbird, if anything, because the Thunderbird is way more refined and modern than any SN95 Mustang ever was.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts