TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A kid came into Rack Room Shoes today with his mom (I work there part time), he must have been like 12 or 13 years old and I could tell he had something on his mind as he walked up to the check out counter. His mom set down two pairs of shoes, a pack of socks, and two pairs of shoe laces on the counter and I began ringing her up. After a minute he looked up at me and told me the final purchase was going to be "94 maybe 95 dollars". I rang everything up and the total with tax came up to $95.43..... :eek:

Not only did this kid have to add two pairs of shoes, a pack of socks, and two shoe laces, he also had to calculate our buy one get one half off on all shoes, AND the tax, AND still came within 43 cents of the actual answer...

I asked if he'd always been good at math and his mom reply's, "he can add and subtract numbers in his head like nothing"...

Could have been a trick, could have been luck, but I was speechless..

·
Super Moderator
11,911 Posts

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I would expect my 9 year old son to be able to do that because...they do class called math, and they teach this thing called adding, and also concepts like estimating, and percentages.

My 14 year old daughter, not so much, I am still trying to teach her the quick and easy way to calculate the tip, now that she is going out to restaurants with her friends (and the first couple of times no one leaving a tip!).

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
I would expect my 9 year old son to be able to do that because...they do class called math, and they teach this thing called adding, and also concepts like estimating, and percentages.

My 14 year old daughter, not so much, I am still trying to teach her the quick and easy way to calculate the tip, now that she is going out to restaurants with her friends (and the first couple of times no one leaving a tip!).
Well, a tip is a little different, it's EASY to figure that. 10% is easy to find (drop the last number). And if you want to leave 20%, you just double the 10%; if you want to leave 15%, just add half of the first amount to the 10% number.

Very simple, if a child can't do that, they need special ed classes (like my little brother had to take all through school). Some ppl just don't grasp Math - no biggie.

Funny you bring that tip thing up because on a standard Stanford-Binet IQ test (I've taken a few for Mensa and stuff), there is usually a 15% question that you have to figure out in your head.

Usually goes something like this: a shirt is regularly $7.00, but marked 15% off, how much is the shirt before taxes? Well, 10% of $7.00 is .70 cents, half of 70 cents is 35 cents, 70+35=$1.05 off the $7.00 originally for the final answer of $5.95

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,781 Posts
Not bad with numbers myself but in a different way .........at times they all start to run together lol

·
Super Moderator
10,401 Posts
I work with some amazingly smart people; it makes for some interesting moments sometimes.

One of the guys I work with calculated the mass of an ion in an electric field from a timing measurement and the voltage we were running it at, in his head, In a few seconds, while we were talking thru the problem.

He was calling off numbers for the mass, and is running thru 3.976... while I realize it's helium.

Dude was lost enough he didn't realize he had already gotten close enough.
:) Next time, I think I'll see how many digits he'll go to, lol.

I'm not even in these guys league, lol. I need paper and a calculator for this calculation... at a minimum. :)

That little kid needs a scholarship!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
lol I can do calculus and advanced math pretty well now that I am on my third and final semester of calculus :headbang: but as far as doing something like that in my head... eh.. I could get within the ball park fairly quickly but it would take me a minute to get it down that close. But I mean this kid was young and spit it out like nothing.

I had a professor last year could take the square root of any number out to the third or fourth decimal place in his head.. it was pretty crazy.

Oh really? thats odd... :bangwall:.... lol..

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
I don't have any kids but I was told that nowadays kids don't have to learn the multiplication tables?
Thats ridiculous. I sure hope thats not true. Although, the way I have heard things are going it could be plausible. I mean how are you going to be able to prepare for your standardized test if you spend all your time learning useless things like multiplication. You cant always rely on a calculator being there!

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't have any kids but I was told that nowadays kids don't have to learn the multiplication tables?
I don't think that is true.. but calculators are becoming more and more of a 'necessity' in the class room rather than a 'luxury.' I agree in certain upper math classes you need a calculator but in elementary school, and middle school they shouldn't let these kids touch one as they are becoming so accustom to calculators.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts