TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It looks like the certain style of wheels I would like are only available in 17". I would rather have 18", but if Vogtland 1" drop springs make it too close, then I guess that's fine. I just don't want too much of a gap between the top of the tire and the fender. What would be some recommendations?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The wheel size has no bearing on the tire height.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
The wheel size has no bearing on the tire height.
This.

The equivalent tire size to 225/60/16 is a 245/45/18, same outside diameter as the 225/60/16, less sidewall, fills up the wheel wells the same. Offset is more important, as you need in an 18x9 around 35 or 36mm offset for good overall clearance.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I understand that, however, the AR wheels are only in 17". It confuses me
We're confused by your earlier statement about worrying about the tire to fender gap. That has absolutely no bearing on wheel size, as you would just fit a tire with the correct outside diameter.

Sadly, the 245/50/17 (correct outside diameter) isn't a hugely popular size, so there aren't a ton of tires, but there are some good ones available.

If you get your 17" wheels, and 245/50/17 tires, the tire to fender gap will be identical as your 225/60/16 tires or your 215/70/15 tires.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I apologize if this is even confusing to you guys. I just don't get fact that the site lists the wheels in multiple sizes, but only picks 17" for the vehicle. Am I missing something?

And I tried The Custom Wheel Shop for some wheels but, I can't 'check out' and see what shipping would be because the site errors.

I think I'm just not allowed to get wheels

·
Super Moderator
10,667 Posts
There are few wheels made for our cars, which is why the Mustang Hub Swap is so popular.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
Depends on the width of the wheel, but for my 9 inch wide wheels I run 255/45/17 (which are .5 inches shorter). When I had 7.5 inch wide wheels I ran 235/50/17 (which are .2 inches shorter).

I wish I had gotten the 18 inch wheels. Back in 2004 when I got them the 18s were 500 dollars more than 17s, and the tires were generally double. A little short sighted, at least I don't run the 245/45/17 any longer, they are an inch shorter and right at the edge of being wide enough for a 9 inch wheel. They were cheap because it was a popular size for Mustangs.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Depends on the width of the wheel, but for my 9 inch wide wheels I run 255/45/17 (which are .5 inches shorter). When I had 7.5 inch wide wheels I ran 235/50/17 (which are .2 inches shorter).

I wish I had gotten the 18 inch wheels. Back in 2004 when I got them the 18s were 500 dollars more than 17s, and the tires were generally double. A little short sighted, at least I don't run the 245/45/17 any longer, they are an inch shorter and right at the edge of being wide enough for a 9 inch wheel. They were cheap because it was a popular size for Mustangs.

I run 255/40/18 on a 18x9 myself. For whatever reason, with my 3.73 gears and whatever speedo gear I have it makes my speedometer read perfectly. They are approximately .6" shorter that stock.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Any thoughts on why the Custom Wheel Shop's website crashes? Or does everyone just call the place?
Calling is the best way. Apparently the website design from 1999 is good enough for his purposes.

Don't neglect ebay. I got my wheels there, and love them. 5x108, 18x9 with 35mm offset. I run 255/40/18 with no rubbing issues.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can find wheels on eBay just fine. However the wheels I can't find are the Cobra style 5 spoke. Now those are on the CWS...I just need to remember to call

1 - 15 of 15 Posts