TCCoA Forums banner

Amp Choices...

3K views 34 replies 11 participants last post by  GODSPEED 
#1 ·
I will be pushing 2 Infinity Reference 1230w's with this amp, in a Q logic sealed box. 1.25 cubic feet per chamber. RMS range for the sub is 50-300w, peak is 1200w. Here are the amps i am looking at

MONO's: These would have the subs wired in parrallel to the bridged 2ohm rating. (Correct me if I am mistaken)

Profile AP1000M This would give 250W rms to each sub, notice price. Not a class D amp.

Infinity 610A This would give 328.5W rms per sub, more than I need, but can be adjusted. This is also a class D amp. Price is much higher.

Or I am considering 2 different Profile 2 channel amps. The AP1200 (200w rms x 2) and the AP2000 (320w rms x 2)

The only reason I am considering the Profile's is because they are inexpensive. I have a smaller profile amp now, and it kills itself a lot because of heat. I don't want this to be an issue with the new system. Help me decide on one, what are the pros and cons? All help is welcome, I would like to buy this stuff soon. Thanks!

-Joel

See less See more
#2 ·
infinity, hands down, as far as i have heard they are supposedly real good for the $$$'s,

i have a profile passive eq with sub control that works purty good but i dunno about their amps, hth, later'z....:D

#3 ·
So saving $100 or so isnt worth the profile?

Anyone else?

-Joel

#5 ·
Just found another setup that seems to be as good, but is cheaper.

2 Pioneer TS-W306C/DVC 12" Woofers (I would have the DVC's)

And a Pioneer amp, the GM-D510M.

The amp puts out 600w rms @ 2ohms so it would be 300w to each sub, but the sub's rms is 400, is that ok? And am I correct about being able to wire both these subs to this mono amp in parrallel @ 2ohms? So should I get these woofers or stick with the infinity subs from above and just get the pioneer amp so they match @ 300w?

HELP! -Joel

#7 ·
Do not overpower those infinity's. Anything over their RMS power and they WILL blow. Infinity's, when handled properly sound great for the money.

The Pioneers are OK.

Why don't you focus on a single 12" sub with 600watts RMS to it? Go to reaudio.com and take a look at the RE SE. Its 600rms it comes in dual four ohm you could wire it to 2 ohm and rock alot of systems away.. Myself, i've never heard it, but I heard its a price you cannot beat for the quality of sound.

If you want, you can see it in action at http://www.realmofexcursion.com/videos.html , also you could see the infinitys and pioneers.

#8 ·
Well it is also a cosmetic thing, I am getting a rear fold down eventually, and I want 2 visible woofers for what I want back there. I like the pioneers, but am worried about them being 400w rms, and my amp only 300w rms.

-Joel

#9 ·
cosmetic? you get a lot more kudos when you got just one sub that hits way harder and louder than two subs...:D

#10 ·
Don't care about what others think, I want it to sound good, and look good in my opinion.

-Joel

#11 ·
sound good? dude you have no idea the difference in sq you get from re subs, not to mention output, too bad you don't live closer, i'd let you give a listen to my one 12 compared to a pair of those pioneers, no competition whatsoever. all i got is 600 watts rms btw. and looks? it looks pretty good to me.....;)

#13 ·
yup, like gm like's to say, it all in the install, lol, my xxx is in a ported enclosure tuned to 33 htz i think, sounded totally awesome, even with just 600 rms, it's funny though, if i have it turned up while i'm driving around for more than 30 minutes it makes me feel wierd, almost nauseous, and lightheaded, like somebody has been pounding on my chest for a while, lol, but it sounds soooo good, :zdevil: but i ended up getting to the point to where the sub volume on my hu is set at -6, lower limit on any trips over 20 miles, :D

#16 ·
guitar maestro said:
yea the XXX will sorta do that to you after a while....its a weird pscho-acoustical effect.....just consider it "REprogramming" your brain :D
ha, ha, so it isn't just me, lol....:D

#18 ·
chorizon said:
if i have it turned up while i'm driving around for more than 30 minutes it makes me feel wierd, almost nauseous, and lightheaded, like somebody has been pounding on my chest for a while, lol, but it sounds soooo good
I get the same thing with my 12" Eclipse. I love the feeling, but it gets to a point when it gets annoying and the bass gets turned down.

#20 ·
Guys, another question. I have a pioneer deh 4400 I think? Anyway the standard 50x4 deck. I want to replace the speakers I have in it now, just with other 6x8's. I am not going to use an amp on them, just power them straight from the deck. What is a good 6x8 for this setup? There are 3 way pioneers @ walmart on sale for $56, 50w rms, 220 max, those good? I will also have 2 12" woofers in the trunk, probly around 500-600w rms for both. Should I get bass blockers for the 6x8s? Anyway not looking for anything amazing here, just a decent nice sounding system.

-Joel

#21 ·
you should just use the high pass filter the hu has built in, at least i think that one has the built in filter, and the pioneer 6x8's are better than the factory pos speakers for sure, you oughtta get some surface mount tweets for those really high notes, it'll make your system sound better. the hu has about 22 watts rms per channel which should sound ok on those speakers, and tweeters if you get them. but what do i know? i only have three amps pushing all my crap, lol.

#23 ·
just go with infinity you will not be disapointed. best sounding by far. the reference is good but i like the kappa and kappa perfect series best. it sounds like you got your stuff from circuit city so go back and get the new infinity's. they sound better than last years and look way cooler even behind the factory girlls. you wont be disapointed.

#25 ·
Well I have almost decided. I found a CHEAP profile ap2000 amp (480x2 @ 2ohms), and will hook it up to the 2 forementioned Pioneer DVC's (400rms). I am overpowering a little but I think it should be ok, especially with profile probly overrating a little. My only concern I have now, is 800w for subwoofers overkill? I dont want it to be annoying loud or anything. No need to make myself feel sick. What are your opinions? What wattage is good enough?

-Joel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.