TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, my amp has over heated several times since i moved it to the trunk. What could be causing it to get so hot? Would an improper ground cause excessive heat? It could just be the heat (100+ every day). I have been tryin to find someone w/ a computer fan they want to donate to me to help w/the problem. BTW Profile 450x1(yes, thats RMS) and 4 ga. power and ground on an old school Pioneer Premier..you remember dont ya, the "seemless construction" nickel plated ones. Plus a little JBWeld:D. I keep the gain at about half so I'm not running it wide open all the time. any suggestions/comments would be appreciated.

·
Registered
192 Posts
do you have the amp mounted on the back of the seats if not that is a good spot to have it. I have a rockford that runs very cool and it is about 400 x 2 rms. I want the ground to be short as possible. Also what ohm are the speakers and the amp rated for any being run at.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Chris is right....

you probably have it mounted in the wrong place.....though you must remember....if you've been running the amp for over 3 hours continuous at a temp of 100+ then it's kind of normal

Beirutsfinest

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I dont have my amp mounted at all, itz just sittin in the trunk. I was thinking about mounting it on the back of the seats, but how should it be mounted? Horizontal or Vertical? I remember reading a post a while back that said one of those would cause it to overheat more. And I have (1) 4 ohm 12 bridged to the amp. My amp came w/ this huge tag on it that said "DO NOT RUN IN 2 OHM MONO, THIS WILL DAMAGE THIS AMP!!" But neways. I guess all i need to know is which way to mount the amp. And Thanx 4 the replys

·
Registered
538 Posts
Best Way

Don't mount the amp directly on the bars of the back seat....Get a Piece of wood (board) and mount that to the back of the seats...then mount the Amp Horizontally to the Board wood.

BeirutsFinest

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
umm bagged90sc.......

Those are computer fans

·
Registered
286 Posts
my bad:)
Yea, I know they are showing a lot of computer fans but I forgot to mention the fans I got are blower type fans so you can mount them flat and not upward like you would have to with the computer fans. They're listed somewhere in the catalog.
If compuers are now coming out with blower fans then I guess its a computer fan too.:D

·
Registered
127 Posts
Many car audio websites and stores try to sell you "amp fans", which was mentioned by joel. These are just overpriced computer fans. Funny to see people spend 15 dollars on a 2 dollar fan. They do make computer blower fans, triple fans, and just about any type of fan you can think of, even water cooled.

·
Registered
286 Posts
to bagged89

Nope, I haven't got any pics up anywhere yet. I just recently did my setup with bags and cylinders. I've emailed you a couple of times on getting the bird setup. You were right, cylinders are really not the way to go. I now got the car on jack stands and am gonna switch over to bags.:)

·
drag-aholic
1,056 Posts
Casey? I see you added the SF Bay to your profile. I know now. Shoot me an e-mail and tell me the stroy about the cylinders. If its just ride quality, I might know somebody who wants to give them a shot, maybe, and you could use that money toward your bags. I just met Tony from air ride today, he says he gets lots of traffic on my bird and they are looking into a kit for the birds, but it will look like SIC's kit mostly by the time its done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts