TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone actually tried the AMSOIL ATF in a 4R70W or AODE? I have heard good things about it, and am trying to get some more info on it. I have heard that while running AMSOIL, the trany temps have been lower from one source. Any more info would be helpful.
Thanx

Scott

·
MaleWhore
2,640 Posts
i heard good stuff about it too....as far as i am concerned...as long as the fluid is merc v...its good...amsoil....its super good, but could it also be overpriced?

·
8,239 Posts
just use merconV any brand, amsoil is probalby mercon III.

Save your money and get the merconV for 2.75 at advance or checker.

·
Astrophysicist / PostWhore
2,028 Posts
AMSOIL Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Recommended for applications requiring the following specifications:

GM Dexron II, Dexron III
Ford Mercon, Mercon V
Chrysler ATF+, ATF+2, ATF+3, ATF+4
Mitsubishi Diamond SP II & III
Allison C-3 & C-4 and TES-295
Caterpillar Powershift Transmission TO-2 & TO-3
Voith Commercial Transmissions
GM Strasbourg (European Imports) and Opel
Applications requiring Honda Z-1 transmission fluids
Toyota Type T and T-IV

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Scott Suzanne said:
Has anyone actually tried the AMSOIL ATF in a 4R70W or AODE? I have heard good things about it, and am trying to get some more info on it. I have heard that while running AMSOIL, the trany temps have been lower from one source. Any more info would be helpful.
Thanx

Scott
Yes, I am using it. I know someone who has a Preferred Customer account, so I got the fluid at a reduced rate. It's rather pricey otherwise (I've seen it in a retail chain auto parts store for almost $8/quart). Amsoil's site does list a 2½ gallon container, which'll bring down the price-per-quart cost a little. Even with that, it still costs a bit more than Mercon V.

I contacted the Amsoil tech folks to ask about the product, and confirm that it can be used on Mercon V applications, and had them look over the TSB that says we can use Mercon V on our 1994 4R70W transmissions. The confirmed that there should not be any problems.

It's good stuff - I started using it in early August, 2003. I haven't hooked up my transmission temperature gauge yet, but I am curious as to how much a cooling affect Amsoil's fluid has on the transmission.

The main question is simply how much you want to spend. Amsoil's site states that their fluid can extend the service life of the transmission fluid by up to 5 times (hmmm....). Over time, that could prove itself as a maintenance-cost saving tool. However, that says service life, not drain or service interval....

FWIW, the 1994 Service Manual states something interesting in the first sentence of the Drain and Fill procedure:

Transmission Fluid Drain and Fill Procedure

Normal maintenance and lubrication requirements do not necessitate periodic automatic transmission fluid changes. If a major service, such as a clutch, band, bearing, etc., is required, it will have to be removed for service. At this time, the torque converter (7902), transmission oil cooler (7A095) and oil cooler inlet tube (7A030) and oil cooler tube (7A031) must be thoroughly flushed to remove any dirt. When used under continuous or severe conditions, the transmission and torque converter should be drained and refilled with fluid as specified.

To find out more about the Amsoil ATF, visit their site, and email their tech staff with questions. Their responses are prompt, in my experience. All in all, I think it's worth the price paid, but what's a comfortable price for one person is not necessarily a comfortable price for another.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanx IronChopz, that is the info I was looking for. I also have a hook-up on the price issue of the stuff. I think that I will give it a try, and see what happens.
What kind of fluid change interval are you using?
Thanx again.

Scott

·
Moderator, Iowa Chapter Director, Uber Luber, TCCo
8,978 Posts
One of the UMWTC guys is a dealer for Amsoil. I bet he could get you a good deal on it.

Justin, you change your ATF every 15K?!

-Thomas

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
Scott Suzanne said:
Thanx IronChopz, that is the info I was looking for. I also have a hook-up on the price issue of the stuff. I think that I will give it a try, and see what happens.
What kind of fluid change interval are you using?
Thanx again.

Scott
You're welcome. As far as drain interval...tough to say, since I wasn't dilligent about it initially. When my car got to 180,000-ish miles, I did some transmission work in July-Aug of 2002, which included a flushing; afterwards, I did a simple 'drain and filter change' 10,000 miles later, then again after 20,000 miles. I did the J-mod in August of 2003, and did an Amsoil ATF change. I may consider their analysis kit, and see what they say, though it is $25 for the kit with 2-way postage paid....especially considering I've recorded about 20,000 miles since then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts