TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
The Band, not the Disease!
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna go put some money down on a 95' Kawasaki ZX6R tomarrow... 11k miles.. completley stock... no leaks, some scratches and knicks in the paint, no dents. I'm gonna see if they will take $2700 for it! It's been dropped while sitting... good price? Here's what it looks like:

EDIT: They want 3200 for it, and I asked if he would go lower and the manager said that they would take any reasonable offer... the trade in for the bike is 2200 and the retail is about 3200... so I figured about half way inbetween the 2 prices is good... someone post a comment? Think it's worth 2700? Is 2700 a good price to offer? Thanks!

·
Registered
627 Posts
AnthraxBird said:

EDIT: They want 3200 for it, and I asked if he would go lower and the manager said that they would take any reasonable offer... the trade in for the bike is 2200 and the retail is about 3200... so I figured about half way inbetween the 2 prices is good... someone post a comment? Think it's worth 2700? Is 2700 a good price to offer? Thanks!
I'd say it's a fair price for a 9 year old 600 that's been dropped, but not awesome. If you offer and they stutter or anything, I'd consider to continue looking. But... with the summer gas prices projected in the stratosphere, you may just want to jump on that before the realization of the $2.00 + gasoline hits everyone. It will be worth much more then.

·
Smoothmeister K
887 Posts
Yea actually man that is not a bad deal I would go for it but I would keep looking around but I'm guessing he'll be wanting an offer from you fast or otherwise he'll think you're not serious about it.
Have you thought of getting a Suzuki? They've got nice sports bikes (Katana, Hayabusa, etc.).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Amp said:
Yea actually man that is not a bad deal I would go for it but I would keep looking around but I'm guessing he'll be wanting an offer from you fast or otherwise he'll think you're not serious about it.
Have you thought of getting a Suzuki? They've got nice sports bikes (Katana, Hayabusa, etc.).
The Katana is not really a sport bike. They are inexpensive however. The GSXR line is pretty decent all around. Personally, I say Yamaha or Honda. Just my preference. Kawasaki makes a good motorcycle, and now that they are combined with Suzuki, all the better.

·
Pedal Faster
2,658 Posts
I'd call it sport-y, but when you put it next to a GSXR, it looks big and slow (not that 500 lbs is really that heavy :) )

EDIT: I was being a little facetious there, in case it wasn't obvious. :D

·
Registered
627 Posts
Amp said:
I'd agree. It's a sporty bike, but with those large profile tires, heavy weight, conservative geometry and ergos, it's not in the same class as the R1, or CBR, or Ninja, or GSXR.

It's kinda like our Thunderbirds. Got some decent power, and handling isn't too horrible, etc. But these things aren't sports cars. It insults Katana owners whenever I tell them, but they really aren't in the same class.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
My neighbor has a early-mid 90's Ninja in his garage that he NEVER rides. Its not in the best shape, but I need a starter bike. I think I might walk over one day this summer with $1000 cash in hand and see if he bites. :zdunno:

·
Registered
627 Posts
It would be worth a try. The Ninja, while a heavier bike than some, is one of the better engine / tranny combos out there. Very reliable.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
well I went up to the dealer where the bike was at, and I saw the salesman I was looking for... He said the bike almost sold today. I was like, so? Then he says: Well, the guy had the money in hand, and wanted to buy it.. but the manager said he wasn't the right guy for the bike. I was like, BS. If someone came in there, with the sticker price in hand.. they would sell it to ANYONE. But I offered him 2700 and they did hesitate... he goes to ask his manager and comes back.. with a piece of paper.. they wanted 2700 + tax (which i was going for) well I was happy.. then I called insurance... 1300 a year, 50/100/75 on liability, medical for rider and passenger, comprehensive, collision, etc etc... I was like no way. I'm happy with the 350 bucks I pay a year for my Nighthawk, which is just as fast, or even faster. And it even has a steel frame. =) Ahh well.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
sport bike :: mustag
: katana : thunderbird

I couldn't drive a sport bike, the wind would wear me out...I'm too tall for them. The katana however, is big enough, and you can still beat almost any car.

·
Moderator, Red Sox Nation Rabid Fan, TCCoAAC Found
3,165 Posts
When it comes to bikes, you never want to buy anyone elses crap. People beat the sh1t out of those things, I'd still talk him down, since it's been dropped and 11k, you're probably going to be doing some motor work on it. You can get new bikes for like 0% interest for like 5-6k... Then you can rest assured it's been taken care of, unless this is your first bike... Then it might be good to learn on.

·
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
not the first bike. Riding for like 13 years.. but the motor was great and the transmission was too. No gas, coolant, or oil leaks... motor started up fine, choked it for a minute or two, then turned it off and it idled like a dream. Oh well, I decided not to buy it.. im just going to fix mine. =)

·
Registered
627 Posts
GreenBird said:
sport bike :: mustag
: katana : thunderbird

I couldn't drive a sport bike, the wind would wear me out...I'm too tall for them. The katana however, is big enough, and you can still beat almost any car.
Real good analogy :)

How tall are you? I'm 6 ft 1 in and 235 lbs. I enjoy the heck out of my FZR 1000, but I will admit it's not for long hauls. Just going fast, having fun, and using less gas. Can't wait to get it back from service / dyno.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts