TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been about a year since I bought my bird and joined this board, so I took stock of all that's happened with this car and all the incredibly valuable help I've been able to get from the fine folks who hang out here. With the help of TCCoA, I've:

* Fixed a check engine light with a can of contact cleaner - dirty MAF sensor.

* Replaced the 96 console with a 97 cupholder model bought from a member.

* Fixed a starting problem with a new IAC valve bought from a member.

* Added a tranny cooler and syn-blend ATF, using post info along the way.

* Replaced a damaged driver seat bottom with perfect one from Greenbird.

* Replaced stock corner lights with clears - tons of post info on this.

* Diagnosed a turn signal problem using post info, replaced the multi-fuction switch.

* Replaced the power antenna mast using info from posts.

Read a bunch about the Jmod, but my tranny is healthy. It's great having that kind of technical know-how available, though.

In just one year, this site has saved me hundreds of dollars and untold hassles. Every transaction I've done with other members has been a pleasure! The bird runs great and my confidence level remains high. I know there will be more fixups in the future, but as long as this site is around.....no fear, baby!!

The search button on these forums is the best tool I've got for the Tbird!

So THANKS EVERYONE!!! You've made this one of the best automotive sites on the web! :zbeer:

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
croozertoo said:

* Diagnosed a turn signal problem using post info, replaced the multi-fuction switch.

Glad you have found the site so helpful! I'll give you a chance to return the favor. I am looking at having to replace the MFS myself. (bad dimmer) How difficult is it to get to and replace? what is involved in the procedure? any info would be helpful. thanx

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Honestly, I would have never really modded my Tbird if I didn't find this site. Sure my old '97 would have got a filter and exhaust, but that would have been it. When I bought it, I figured it was just an "in between" car untill I bought another Mustang. Thankfully I found the light and found how much fun a big, comfortable car can be.

·
Trumpeter Extraordinaire
2,917 Posts
I'm with you, croozertoo.

This site has provided me a great deal of information, also. There's a number of repairs I wouldn't have attempted, or even known about, had it not been for the good information posted here over the months I've frequented this site.

Thanks to everyone, as well, and to Sir William for creating this site. :ssalute:

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Soop, nope this isn't a paid political ad! ;) Just a happy guy!

Traveler, if by dimmer you mean the headlight hi-lo switch then we're talking the same thing - the turn signal stalk and assembly in the steering column housing. Not a tough job, a few steps (this is for a '96):

Disconnect battery negative.
Remove the bottom plastic cover (3 screws) I also took out the knee panel underneath for more working room.
Take out the ignition lock tumbler by pushing in the pin on the underside of the cylinder with the key in "on" position (this may vary).
Remove the top cover....carefully! It's a tight fit. Wear gloves....sharp edges.
Remove the MFS by taking out 2 torx head bolts in housing. Don't know the size.
Unsnap the two wiring connectors carefully so as not to break the retainer clips.
Plug in the new MFS and bolt into the steering column.
Test it before installing the covers. This means reinstalling the lock tumbler, reconnecting the battery, testing all the lights and wipers, disconnect battery negative, remove lock tumbler again.
Put top cover back on, then bottom cover, fit together carefully, then put in screws.

The top cover was the challenge here...work it out carefully. Tilt the wheel as necessary.

·
Registered
5,978 Posts
i also concour, this site has helped me a few times and given me ideas on what to do to my car. i also hope the knowledge i have passed on also has helped a few people. and as ya'll can see by my post count , i spend an awful lot a time here.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Thanks for the info croozer!! I'll get on that as soon as I can locate and purchase a MFS. Anyone out there have one? :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts