TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We'll, I just got on my nitto's, filled the bottle and I was ready for some action. Last night, something just felt wrong in the air and I payed it no mind. Cruising the streets at 1 am with my buddy and his 98 TA looking for prey. Our night was unsuccessful. Overwhelmed w/ udder boredom we decide to hit it from the light. I warm my tires (first race w/ them) and got up next to him. I expected to take him off the line and not let him catch me. Normally, he takes me off the line and we stay there, with him a car in front of me. This time I chose to ignore the bad feelings and go. GREEN! LAUNCH! BOOM! I reckognized the noise with the airy white smoke coming from under my car and seeping into my cabin. Idling sporatically, I pulled in the next parking lot, where my car stayed running. I popped the hood to find a few vaccum hoses blown off. So I put them back on and it starting running a little better. My brakes don't work very well (vaccum?) now. As we are talking about nursing it home........ It dies. I frantically try to start it (CPR) and it won't start. It tries but it doesn't. As we wait for the trailer, there is talk amongst us.

Me: blown piston?, rings?, I need a new motor!?

David: "Don't worry man.... it's gonna be like the MAF of some vaccum hoses that we can't see right now...... it's nothing!"

Eric: Taking pictures................. JERK!!!

Tow truck driver: "I never had any problems with my chebies"

The ride home was a quiet one.

Now Im off to the tool box to get my plug socket...... Will I find oil on the plugs? Will I find that it was just a vaccum hose after all? Who knows, but I will find out what it is! Oh yes, I will find out! Mark my words!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wet kit.... Yes
Off the line.... never, I usually spray at around 3000 rpm. Even at that rpm I have trouble hooking. That's where the nitto's come in.

I was thinking intake as well! I hope that is it! I have a couple of those sitting around!

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does it sound like Intake to you guys? It was running really rough and now it won't start. There are no fluids leaking at all. Just won't start. Plugs are are clean! I've been spraying on this car for two years.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can't see any cracks. Wouldn't it be leaking fluids?
Im puzzled!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Okay regardless your problem is either pricey, expensive, or REALLY EXPENSIVE!! As for white smoke that comes from hot oil hitting water which eliminates the Intake (no oil no water), the bang is BAD which means it happened between the cylinders and the head. So this brings about your possibilities, first your cheapest posibility and also your most likely is a blown head gasket, second and your more expensive problem possibility is a HEAD you may have blown your entire head. Lastley and the worst possibility is the engine block itself. You could have ruined some rings as as well and pistons but that would mean smoke would be pouring out your exhaust and not the engine bay.

Now I am betting you blew a head gasket but even if you only did that you need to take your head and have it blueprinted so that when you replace the gasket you will have no further gasket problems, also have a shop check the top of your block to make sure that it is still okay. Second if you are going to run Nitrous make sure you have Fel Pro gaskets (if you don't already). Anyone who says you can run Nitrous on a stock engine hasn't seen as many engines as I have blown to **** because of it.

Go through the engine and make sure that your rings are still good, and switch out to better gaskets. If you are going to run Nitrous still I would suggest you replace your rings, pistons, and crank with better pieces like JE or SCAT. Otherwise you are looking at a 2 to 3 year engine.

Lastly some questions:

What type of Heads do you have?
Your Gaskets?
What other changes do you have?

I dont mean to sound like I am lecturing if I am my apologizes. As for the truck driver find out where he livs go get a pair of boots with the ford symbol on the toe and go kick his azz.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My car is tuned for nitrous. Everything works well on this car. Jerry did a dual stage chip for me just for the nitrous. I also have accel coil packs, NGK TR6 plugs, MSD DIS-4, and FRPP wires.
If it were a head gasket, wouldn't I be seeing white pillow smoke out of the exhaust? When the car was running it was not smoking.
The car was running rough and then It died. Now it tries to start but it just won't. I don't see any fluids anywhere. The smoke I saw was brief and light. I blew a head gasket in my old bird and it was nothing like this.
I have stock heads
I have stock gaskets
My car has 70000 miles on it
The timing is retarded through my chip
Look at my sig. for the rest of my mods

·
Registered
133 Posts
You may or may not see smoke out of you exhaust depending on how bad the gasket is. If you don't want to yank the head just change the oil if there is coolant in it that is a good sign that you blew the head gasket. As far as fluids leaking not always will you see it from outside the engine, when she is not running. The smoke was all your presurized water and oil. Change the oil and check your coolant levels. If it there is nothing there then I can look for another solution.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My coolant level is fine. I will change my oil and look.
Dang it! I just changed it too! Synthetic.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Sorry to hear that about your oil but it is better than ripping off the heads and finding them good yet still having to replace the gaskets because the heads were removed.

·
Registered
488 Posts
have you tried use a vacumn gauge while your cranking? the intake dosent have to crack on top, im not saying im 100% its the intake because the car is not infront of me, but

I reckognized the noise with the airy white smoke coming from under my car and seeping into my cabin
dosnt sound like there was anything coming out of the exaust imo it was the nitrous coming out of the intake vac lines and possibly another hole in the intake, the couple cars that ive seen this on, all of which were stangs, blew out hte lower portion on the back at the fire wall. Hook up a vacumn gage, if ters no vac then the intake is fubared and as for seeking leaks when the intake blows thats only if you pop the coolant passages

Josh

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found out what it is!

The intake was not cracked.............................. It was blown to pieces!!! You couldn't see it from the top side but with close examination, you could see plastic shards all in the valley underneath the intake!
Oh well, off to surgery I go!

Good call skidonenko!!!!

See ya!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts