TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to start buying some of this stuff, and need some help

Is there one common size line that is needed more than the others?

How many Feet?

I know 6an is used for the Power Steering Lines

What size for the remote Oil Filter setup?

What other lines should be replaced with braided lines?

Same questions with fittings, which do I need the most of?

Thanks Guys

Dave

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I used 8 on my trans cooler lines (1/2"). I used a combination of angled fittings and angled ends to miss the headers/manifolds. Kind of trial and error. IIRC, most remot oil filters will use the 8 an size as well. I can't remember how many feet I used on my trans lines...I want to say either 6 or 8 two times. I had a short piece left over on each. All I can say is $$$$$

Joe

·
Whining Intakes Rock
3,645 Posts

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was helpful Al thanks...

Now I just need to figure out what size everything is..lol

Dave

Thanks Joe, I forgot about the trans cooler ones....mine are rubber now, and I'm switching to the tru Cool 40K, so then would be as gooda time as any

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Take care to match the adapters and hoses....no point in running a -10 line if you have to use a 1/4NPT fitting.

I used -6 for tranny lines, -10 for oil lines. Earl's has a 5/16 hardline to AN adapter that would work well for the transcooler.

The trans lines are 1/4npt at the trans and at the stock exchanger. Aftermarket coolers vary between 3/8 and 1/2.

If you got an oil relocation, hopefully you got a 1/2npt version. Permacool has a kit that uses 3/8, but they also have singular adapters that use 1/2.

I've seen people use braided line for everything....even washer fluid! IMHO, the only lines you NEED braided for are engine and tranny oil. Everything else, you can just use the "dress up" stuff over regular lines if your going for that look.

·
Registered
6,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
GreenBird said:
Aftermarket coolers vary between 3/8 and 1/2.

I am assuming for now, until I buy it that the Tru Cool 40K Coller will be 1/2NPT

If you got an oil relocation, hopefully you got a 1/2npt version. Permacool has a kit that uses 3/8, but they also have singular adapters that use 1/2.

haven't bought one yet but I will be using the summit one with all braided lines. I have a PM ou tto someone who should have the exact size of lines and fittings needed.

Thanks Alot Greenbird

·
Registered
680 Posts
GreenBird said:
Take care to match the adapters and hoses....no point in running a -10 line if you have to use a 1/4NPT fitting.

I used -6 for tranny lines, -10 for oil lines. Earl's has a 5/16 hardline to AN adapter that would work well for the transcooler.

The trans lines are 1/4npt at the trans and at the stock exchanger. Aftermarket coolers vary between 3/8 and 1/2.

I've seen people use braided line for everything....even washer fluid! IMHO, the only lines you NEED braided for are engine and tranny oil. Everything else, you can just use the "dress up" stuff over regular lines if your going for that look.
I've heard people like Earl's pro-lite for fuel line stuff, alot of alternatives to the braided stuff. Braided can be a pain in the arse to work with.

It is probably the safest for oil though, if you hit something on the road, it will be less resistant to cutting than other options.

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts
Raising a thread from the dead !!!!

I already have a 1.25 addco bar and oil changes take an hour and half I want to make that easier.

Since no one has recently brought this up I was thinking of installing an oil filter relocation 'kit'. Only that people have repeatedly suggested not going with a single kit but buying pieces separate to use the SS. THats all helpful stuff since I want to go with SS. I just want to know who has bought 10 AN SS lines lately and proper fittings. Where is the best place to go for that stuff. Its going on a stock engine but that going to get swapped out for a built one in the future.

Is summit and jegs still the place to go for for the adapter plate to the block and the filter mount. Just seeing if anyone found some better bargains since 2008.

Other suggestions were to use strait fittings since they are cheaper and it looks like if you mount it under the battery tray you can go with all strait fittings.

I think I'd like to use the underside of the battery tray to mount it but can anyone with a gen1 front end w/fogs chime in with where they mounted the filter if it wasn't under the batt.

I'm going to have the perfect chance to install this when I do motor mounts so if anyone has anymore tips to save some money by buying the correct stuff I'd really appreciate it and would take lots of pics.

And if anyone is really bored post some links.

Thanks

·
3,868 Posts
OK no one has any recent installs or what ??? No new vendors to buy from? Just the same old same old???

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
I ordered my spin on adapter and filter mount from transdapt, as for an fittings expect to spend at least 150 and up plus shipping from summit or jegs. Lots of choices now, many are switching to twist lock and socketless hose. I still prefer the old stainless braid myself.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
OK no one has any recent installs or what ??? No new vendors to buy from? Just the same old same old???
There is some nice billet adapters and filter mounts out there. More $$$$

Just look at Summit and Jegs. Summit is dropping their perma-cool stuff, only selling what is in stock.

·
Premium Member
6,617 Posts
I have no insight for you on this. I am a believer in hard lines and when I run mine remotely it will be done with hard lines as much as possible with only a flex section where needed.
Alan

·
3,868 Posts
ok I went with the cheaper kit just for now but damn if that isn't a neat install DLF.

Alan maybe you'll see me in the near future and maybe we can install some better lines on everything LOL.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I didn't do a oil filter relocation, but I did mount an external transmission spin on filter (more or less) under the battery tray. I pulled the bumper cover for access and bolted the filter mount to the outboard side of the left frame rail.

·
Banned
998 Posts
I went with the cheaper Summit kit also no problems but I do want to go to the SS braid with pressed on ends for the long haul.

I mounted mine on the drivers side fender bracket very easy to get to right threw the lower valance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts