TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am preparing to put the digital gage cluster from an 89 mucury couger into my 89 thunderbird which currently has the 80mph 3 gage cluster, and was wondering what all i needed,and if i needed to do any re-wiring or anything like that.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Take your 1989 EVTM (Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, usually bought used off eBay) and compare the two.

Yes, you will have to change the wiring at the instrument cluster.

You will also have to change the sensors (several that the digital uses are now switches for your idiot lights).

Don't forget to add the switches that go into the dash surround.

You probably won't have the fuel economy (gas mileage) function; that signal MAY be coming out of your ECU, but you'll have to run that wire all the way to the ECU to access it (since it was only used on the digital clusters.)

I forget what it's called offhand.

RwP

Reactions: Trekie47

·
Super Moderator
1994 Cougar XR7 DOHC/5-Speed
18,828 Posts
DOL, pin 34(IIRC) on the PCM. You shouldn’t actually have to add the pin to the PCM itself, the EEC harness is prewired for multiple configurations so you’d need to add it to where the dash harness connects to it and run it from there. Really since you have both cars at your disposal and both are 89s you may as well pull the dash and swap harnesses, put in a new heater core while your there to make it worthwhile.

I could be wrong but I think the fuel level sender is different too

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Take your 1989 EVTM (Electrical Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual, usually bought used off eBay) and compare the two.

Yes, you will have to change the wiring at the instrument cluster.

You will also have to change the sensors (several that the digital uses are now switches for your idiot lights).

Don't forget to add the switches that go into the dash surround.

You probably won't have the fuel economy (gas mileage) function; that signal MAY be coming out of your ECU, but you'll have to run that wire all the way to the ECU to access it (since it was only used on the digital clusters.)

I forget what it's called offhand.

RwP
Thanks for the reply. I have ordered the book, and it'll be here in a week. I dont suppose you have a list of all the sensors i need to replace, and what to replace them with or even a guide i could follow.

DOL, pin 34(IIRC) on the PCM. You shouldn’t actually have to add the pin to the PCM itself, the EEC harness is prewired for multiple configurations so you’d need to add it to where the dash harness connects to it and run it from there. Really since you have both cars at your disposal and both are 89s you may as well pull the dash and swap harnesses, put in a new heater core while your there to make it worthwhile.

I could be wrong but I think the fuel level sender is different too
Unfortunatly i do not have both cars. I ordered the dash from ebay.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts