TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my alternator pully started making noise...being 15 years old I decided to replace it...I found a brand new looking alternator on a 96 bird at the junkyard, pulled it, bought a new belt, and put both on the car....

The junkyard alternator made more noise than the old one...damn!

So I went down to the parts store and bought a brand new alternator...put it on.

With the new alternator, the sound was gone, however, there was a new, horrible grinding squeal....I determined that it was coming from the tensioner. So I bought a new tensioner arm & pully assy. (with the updated design - easier to move it out of the way than the stock setup)

Put that on....a little better, but not great....spun the idler pully....horrible grinding and the bearing was clearly REAL bad....so back to the parts store again, bought a new idler pully....put that on...

SOUND IS GONE! :D

moral of the story, check your idler and tensioner! and as always, one thing leads to another on this stuff....always :D

·
Registered
2,876 Posts
I'm surprised you don't know that by now. Especially Fords. Fix one thing and something else will go out. Now with my Dodge, it is a different story. Fix one thing and 3 days down the road, something else will go out.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Dude, that sucks man.... I've never seen this failure before... Time for an exploder engine :D

·
Registered
185 Posts
Only thing I can see the accessories doing is *possibly* stalling the engine. My guess would be that the timing chain broke there...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts