TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after a lot of complications and struggles for garage space, I finally have both cars at school.
Both drive lines have been removed and the rear diff with fresh 3.73 gears and trac-lok with the axles are installed into the Cougar. I'm going to have a few questions from you guys about wiring and what ever mods I can perform on the cheap to help me in HP department, as well as the transmission harness. Mechanical,I can figure out almost anything, the electronics are new to me and I haven't gotten those classes yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
You're going to need a tune, so look on Ebay for an inexpensive used Xcal 2, 3, or 4. You need one that is unlocked. If it's still married to the last car it tuned, it'll cost $150 for the manufacturer to unlock it.

The go to guy for a mail order tune is Don Lasota at LaSota Racing Ford Tuning & Training That's who is doing my tune. Just fill out the form with your mods (PI Intake/heads/cams, your 3.73 gears o adjust the shift points, and you're good.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OKay,
So I have the engine in and I have discovered that the V8 harness the mount on the pass side has more pins than the reciever has active holes. Two of them look to be inactive. I understand that the ECM from the kickpanel has to go in, but will the wiring harness have to be changed as well?

Also, I monted the oil filter and discovered that it was to fat to fit. The cougar has a different P/S line that has a nub on it that interfers with the filter. Is ther a skinny one that is available?

Due to the past month, my instructor told me today that I have to have the car ot of the shop by Friday. Even If he has to psh it into the field behind the classroom.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
OKay,
So I have the engine in and I have discovered that the V8 harness the mount on the pass side has more pins than the reciever has active holes. Two of them look to be inactive. I understand that the ECM from the kickpanel has to go in, but will the wiring harness have to be changed as well?

Also, I monted the oil filter and discovered that it was to fat to fit. The cougar has a different P/S line that has a nub on it that interfers with the filter. Is ther a skinny one that is available?

Due to the past month, my instructor told me today that I have to have the car ot of the shop by Friday. Even If he has to psh it into the field behind the classroom.
YOu should be able to swap the power steering line from the V8 car into the one getting the V8. Or you can get a remote mount filter kit, but that's extra $$$ and a little bit of hassle.

Did a search and you will have to swap the harness, not sure how much you have to remove, but if you have to slide the dash out a little it shouldn't be too bad, I'd assume that the wires run right up from the ECU to the harness in the engine bay.
http://forums.tccoa.com/9-engine-3-8l-4-2l/122168-v6-v8-conversion.html#post1221775

1 - 4 of 4 Posts