Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Talk about a slap in the face…. :redmad: :zbash: :redmad:

Ok, this is just a basic rant… because if I don’t rant to someone, a bell tower and a high powered rifle is looking mighty inviting right now… :redmad: (Just joking… no really… :leftright :D )

A little history of my job:

I have been working in this location since 1987 doing the communications support/planning/management for a worldwide customer base that accesses our servers/main frames/mid-tiers. Recently we “downsized” and went from 160 people to about 12 people!! (Everyone either retired or found jobs elsewhere, so it wasn’t horrible!!)

Anyway, they removed one sentence from my job description and, with a wave of their headquarters’ hand, said, “You are no longer a GS-12, but now a GS-11”. Oh, but you’ll be expected to do the same job you were doing. :redmad:

FINE. DoD has “save pay”, so my pay didn’t go down, I’m just now topped out and won’t get full cost of living pay raises. :bawling:

Anyway, a few months ago, after all the sites had “transformed”,… (“downsizing” is a bad word… :leftright ) the individual organizations were allowed to “restructure” to better fill the necessary locations. Since I’m the only network guy here, and we had a GS-12 position that was being abolished, we justified switching that GS-12 to a network positions and filling my GS-11 with a secondary/backup. Everything was approved and it looked like a done deal for me to get the GS-12 back and get a GS-11 as a backup/alternate communications person.

Today I was told…. The job was converted as an intern and I will get to train a person right out of college i.e. NO TELECOMMUNICATIONS BACKGROUND!!! He will come in as a GS-7…. And in 3 years FILL THE GS-12 POSITION!!! :beek:

Yes, I have been directed to train the person to take my job!!! :redmad: :beek: :redmad:

I think tonight I’m going to have to kill some brain cells by imbibing large quantities of alcohol!!! :leftright

Oh, and did I mention that this morning I got called into work at 0230 and have been here since 0330!!!! Thank you sir, may I have another!!! :redmad: :zbash: :redmad:

Ok, rant mode off…. But this is just wrong on SO MANY LEVELS!!!

·
Registered
974 Posts
that's insane............time to start lining up a new job.......

·
Registered
1,250 Posts
Holy ***** that sucks! Hope things turn around for you

·
Registered
598 Posts
I know how you feel, a while back my boss passed and I was lined up to take that job, afterall, they told me specifically I was being hired to train under her and then take her job when she retired. Well, instead they hired some other lady who doesn't have a clue what she's doing and I am training her to be my boss! :mad:
I still do all the work that I did in between the time my old boss passed and she was hired, yet I am back to be a nobody around here and now get the fun work of also fixing all of her screw ups. :mad:
Thank you ma'am, may I have another :zbash:

·
Registered
513 Posts
I would have to go with the bell tower idea.....

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
95BLKLSC said:
that's insane............time to start lining up a new job.......
Not that easy in government these days unless you want to give up all your years and bennies and become a contractor. Almost every function DoD performs these days is contract since contractors are supposedly cheaper than federal employees.

How close are you to that 25 year pin Don? You know FERS employees can take an early retirement at 25 and any age.... Maybe time to move to the dark side, at least you'd be getting paid what you're worth. Be glad you don't work for Navy... NMCI would've put you out of a job by now.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
doodaa said:
Not that easy in government these days unless you want to give up all your years and bennies and become a contractor. Almost every function DoD performs these days is contract since contractors are supposedly cheaper than federal employees.

How close are you to that 25 year pin Don? You know FERS employees can take an early retirement at 25 and any age.... Maybe time to move to the dark side, at least you'd be getting paid what you're worth. Be glad you don't work for Navy... NMCI would've put you out of a job by now.
VERY true about finding Federal jobs... unless I want to move to D.C.!!! The point I'm at in my career (i.e. looking for GS-13/14), I'm pretty much looking at D.C.. Where a GS-14... is poor!!! And I REALLY don't want to live/work in D.C.. Been there done that!!!! (I worked at the Pentagon after I got out of the Coast Guard) :D

As far as 25 years, I'll get it in 07. But the kicker with retiring with 25 years, but less than minimum retirement age is that you take a 2% pay hit (or some crap like that) for every year you are under your MRA! I could retire at age 44 and my MRA is 56. So that would be a 24% decrease in my annuity!!! :beek:

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
94 Daily Driven 4.6L said:
Yes, I have been directed to train the person to take my job!!! :redmad: :beek: :redmad:
welcome to my personal h3ll. ive been doing this all summer, training two guys who are working minimum wage to replace my 10/hr, not to mention the hours that they have for me.

Oh, and did I mention that this morning I got called into work at 0230 and have been here since 0330!!!!
i might only be 19, but i know how it feels to be called in during the middle of when im sleeping.

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I've trained my replacement several times. I hate it. There's nothing more insulting than a company saying, "Hey... we're gunna hire some cheap labor, have you train them and then fire your dumb ***!" I once trained an entire new store's worth of employees (about 5 or 6 people on the interim staff) before the concocted a reason to fire me. ^_^

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
SanDiegoLXBird said:
I've trained my replacement several times. I hate it. There's nothing more insulting than a company saying, "Hey... we're gunna hire some cheap labor, have you train them and then fire your dumb ***!" I once trained an entire new store's worth of employees (about 5 or 6 people on the interim staff) before the concocted a reason to fire me. ^_^
the one moron im training (he's so f*cking retarded) might not last until the end of the month. Ive lost my patience with him, my supervisor ( who i have more experience than) has lost his patience with him, and the guy that started teh week after me 5 years ago snapped on him yesterday. now, when something breaks we blame him, because we dont need/want him.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
But the kicker with retiring with 25 years, but less than minimum retirement age is that you take a 2% pay hit (or some crap like that) for every year you are under your MRA! I could retire at age 44 and my MRA is 56. So that would be a 24% decrease in my annuity!!! :beek:
Yeah, it's a kick in the butt alright but if the BS gets much deeper around here it ain't looking <b>too</b> bad from where I sit... If I'm going to have to train a college boy to replace me and end up as a contractor anyway I might as well be dippin' from the FERS trough while I'm at it. They're not even worried about us training our replacement, they aren't required to know squat anyway except how to close a ticket in a database and report their monthly "achievements".

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not to steal a thread, but I have some messed up stuff at my work going on too.
And yeah, you will all laugh because I'm 16, but I don't care.
I have worked for Michigan Performance Hockey for 2 and a half years. I have been very loyal to the owner, always paid, put teams in our leagues, etc.
Oh, M.P.H. is a series of Pro Shops, and we also co-own/run Team Mission Detroit- the largest hockey organization in the world, they fully sponsor 28 teams. We also run many hockey leagues and tournaments.
Well in the summer, my boss brings in these Junior and College D1 Ice Hockey players, they don't know ANYTHING about what's going on, they sit on their a$$es, chew tobacco, and get paid $4 MORE an hour than I do. Why? So they will stick with him and play hockey for him.
Oh, not to mention, he took away our commission, but his wife just got a boob job.
Can someone explain that?

Sorry!

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
Yeah I was passed over for a promotion, and had to train my new boss. While they were interviewing, I did the job for a month. I said see ya. Got a got elsewhere making about 20% more, and shortly after hire got another 20% raise, so I'm now making about 2/3rds more than I was at that idiot convention.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Anyway, they removed one sentence from my job description and, with a wave of their headquarters’ hand, said, “You are no longer a GS-12, but now a GS-11”. Oh, but you’ll be expected to do the same job you were doing. :redmad:

FINE. DoD has “save pay”, so my pay didn’t go down, I’m just now topped out and won’t get full cost of living pay raises. :bawling:

Anyway, a few months ago, after all the sites had “transformed”,… (“downsizing” is a bad word… :leftright ) the individual organizations were allowed to “restructure” to better fill the necessary locations. Since I’m the only network guy here, and we had a GS-12 position that was being abolished, we justified switching that GS-12 to a network positions and filling my GS-11 with a secondary/backup. Everything was approved and it looked like a done deal for me to get the GS-12 back and get a GS-11 as a backup/alternate communications person.

Today I was told…. The job was converted as an intern and I will get to train a person right out of college i.e. NO TELECOMMUNICATIONS BACKGROUND!!! He will come in as a GS-7…. And in 3 years FILL THE GS-12 POSITION!!! :beek:

I think tonight I’m going to have to kill some brain cells by imbibing large quantities of alcohol!!! :leftright

Oh, and did I mention that this morning I got called into work at 0230 and have been here since 0330!!!! Thank you sir, may I have another!!! :redmad: :zbash: :redmad:

Ok, rant mode off…. But this is just wrong on SO MANY LEVELS!!!
That's funny because I will be getting an offer for a GS-7 "flight" 11 program for the DoD (Accounting - DFAS). It's a 3 year program where you start out as a GS-7 Step 10 and are pretty much guaranteed an 11 Step 1 in 3 years after your rotations and when you are permanently placed. It's funny to walk around my office and see people who've worked there for 20-25 years being "managed" by 25 year old GS-11's and even 12's.

God I love my degrees. :D

·
Registered
946 Posts
VERY true about finding Federal jobs... unless I want to move to D.C.!!! The point I'm at in my career (i.e. looking for GS-13/14), I'm pretty much looking at D.C.. Where a GS-14... is poor!!!

QUOTE]

So true. 13s and 14s walk around with coffee pots in D.C. You need to be aiming at an SES position there (at least ;))

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
cyntaxx said:
That's funny because I will be getting an offer for a GS-7 "flight" 11 program for the DoD (Accounting - DFAS). It's a 3 year program where you start out as a GS-7 Step 10 and are pretty much guaranteed an 11 Step 1 in 3 years after your rotations and when you are permanently placed. It's funny to walk around my office and see people who've worked there for 20-25 years being "managed" by 25 year old GS-11's and even 12's.

God I love my degrees. :D
Yep, those degrees and three years of experience mean you know more about how to do a job than someone that has been doing it for 20 years.... :leftright

I don't know about you, but I see absolutely nothing "funny" about it.... :zbash:

Who would you rather have work on your engine.... a college graduate with an automotive degree and a couple of years of experience, or someone that has built a few hundred engines over the past 20 years? :2huh:

No matter what, you can not replace experience with "training". :redmad:

I have no problem with intern programs, but keep them to the lower grades (5, 7, 9’s), and let them get a little experience before they start getting the higher grades…. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
946 Posts
Yep, those degrees and three years of experience mean you know more about how to do a job than someone that has been doing it for 20 years.... :leftright

I don't know about you, but I see absolutely nothing "funny" about it.... :zbash:

Who would you rather have work on your engine.... a college graduate with an automotive degree and a couple of years of experience, or someone that has built a few hundred engines over the past 20 years? :2huh:

No matter what, you can not replace experience with "training". :redmad:

I have no problem with intern programs, but keep them to the lower grades (5, 7, 9’s), and let them get a little experience before they start getting the higher grades…. :thumbsup:

Give me a break and get off your high horse. Government jobs are a joke and half of them require no thought process whatsoever. All the work 7's and below do are simply busy work - so you're right, it doesn't take an education to perform them, only experience. That's what's wrong with a lot of the DoD sites anyway, there's too much "experience" and not enough innovation. Why do you think so many sites are undergoing attrition to thin out some of the "experienced" folks. My site alone has more than 60% of employees who are eligible for retirement over the next 5 years. That sure is a LOT of experience. But in the meantime, our databases are still overly antequated and we are not bringing enough new blood in to innovate and make things more efficient.

So, in the end, we have 2,000 "experienced" employees doing the work that 500 can accomplish with degrees, training, and minimal "experience."

Oh, and before you try to make your daily tasks sound really technical with a dozen acronyms and fancy words, remember that I'm doing work for them too. Half the time, everything can be reduced to this description: systems and data input.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cyntaxx said:
Give me a break and get off your high horse. Government jobs are a joke and half of them require no thought process whatsoever. All the work 7's and below do are simply busy work - so you're right, it doesn't take an education to perform them, only experience. That's what's wrong with a lot of the DoD sites anyway, there's too much "experience" and not enough innovation. Why do you think so many sites are undergoing attrition to thin out some of the "experienced" folks. My site alone has more than 60% of employees who are eligible for retirement over the next 5 years. That sure is a LOT of experience. But in the meantime, our databases are still overly antequated and we are not bringing enough new blood in to innovate and make things more efficient.

So, in the end, we have 2,000 "experienced" employees doing the work that 500 can accomplish with degrees, training, and minimal "experience."

Oh, and before you try to make your daily tasks sound really technical with a dozen acronyms and fancy words, remember that I'm doing work for them too. Half the time, everything can be reduced to this description: systems and data input.
So you are telling me that you would gladly have an intern that has a “degree” and has spend 3 years in DoD, who is now a GS12, being responsible for databases that maintain payroll systems for all of DFAS? If you honestly think that a person with a degree and a couple of years of OJT can do a better job in ANY technical field, then I think you need to get a grip on reality. Look at any large private industry data processing facility, and I will guarantee it is NOT the interns right out of college with the responsibility for maintaining anything of a technical nature..

cyntaxx said:
“So, in the end, we have 2,000 "experienced" employees doing the work that 500 can accomplish with degrees, training, and minimal "experience."”
And you accuse me of being on a high horse…:beek: You sound like the typical “I have a degree, there fore I know more about all systems everywhere”…. I have seen so many “degreed” folks that don’t have a clue about reality and how data processing centers are run. They are always the ones that come in and say, “Hey, it is “better” if we do it this way”. And then they implement the “improvement” and people like me spend the next two weeks trying to figure out why half the people in the US don’t have access. It’s not the “degreed” intern that is fixing the problem. It’s the guy that knows all the ins and outs of all those antiquated systems.

As an example, I had the following words come out of a “degreed” network person just a few weeks ago, “You’re running a flat network?!?! You don’t have a DHCP server or domain controller?!?! How is that possible, I’ve never heard of anything like that?!?”… And I’m calling this person for assistance in setting up a VPN tunnel through multiple, cross agency, firewalls….. Yep, then they turned me over to the guy with 20 years of experience. :zbash:

In a lab environment, or a perfect world, I would agree with you, a degree, training and a little experiences would work great. Well welcome to the real world, or worse DoD…. NOTHING is perfect and you have code written 20 years ago that nobody knows anymore.

But whatever, I know talking to you is a waste of time. I know reality as does everyone else… except those with “degrees” that know all there is to know about all things. :leftright

·
Registered
627 Posts
cyntaxx said:
Half the time, everything can be reduced to this description: systems and data input.
Ooh ooh! I have the word "analysis" thrown in there!

Which DFAS are you at? One of the bigger ones that will hopefully avoid the BRAC thing?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.