TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I need some opinions..

My 11 year old kid has been asking for a ipod touch for almost a year now. We are about ready to purchase but came up with an idea that will give her more features, bigger screen while saving us $100.00.

On Ebay, I can buy a 7" Android based tablet with access to the real Android Market for $100.00 or $130.00 with accessories. A ipod touch is about $210 or so. The Android has all sorts of free apps, bigger screens, WIFI and the abilitiy to send text messages using the Google Voice application. There is the additional bonus of not giving Steve Jobs any money. :D

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
11,908 Posts
Sounds like a plan. The trick will be convincing her that the Android is the better gadget!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As long as she can get the Radio Disney app and listen to her Justin Beiber tunes, we are good!:headbang:

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
Not all Android tablets are created alike. Some work MUCH better than others based on screen quality, product life, etc.

I recommend looking at a LOT of reviews and/or seeing them firsthand before buying an off-brand tablet. Much as though I loathe giving any more money to Steve Jobs, he DOES put good screens on the Ipad/iphone/ipod touch products.

We have an Archos tablet in the office and you can tell the screen isn't as good as it could be.

There's also the "we want the same toys as our friends" feeling kids get.

-g

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found a guy on ebay that seems to love these things. He talked about the Capacitive touch screens that might make it worth while. I had no idea there was a differerence.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I found a guy on ebay that seems to love these things. He talked about the Capacitive touch screens that might make it worth while. I had no idea there was a differerence.
As far as you are concerned, the delta between capacitive touch and resistive touch screens is the sensitivity (aka resolution) to the input. Resistive touches work OK with styluses but aren't so good with fingers as the input.

Lower end tablets use resistive touch screens. You can get PMP players outta China for $80 that use resistive touch.

As far as "guy on ebay that loves these things", if he's the seller, he might be a bit biased. Other concerns include: revision of Android that it ships with, underlying chipset (lots of application processors can run Android from fairly good ones to fairly chincy ones), battery size.

The good thing about tablets is that the batteries tend to be bigger so they last longer. However, they aren't as portable or as convenient sometimes than a smartphone sized device. Unless its for a small, small child (and you are daddy warbucks), I personally don't understand the use of an ipad.

netbooks are more powerful/useful, smartphones are more portable.
I must say though that the $100 price point is mighty tempting....
-g

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He is talking about an NEC branded tablet for $220.00

http://www.use.com/5f53b2598014f871800a#photo=1

It has a ARM Cortex-A9 1Ghz processor, 512MB of RAM, Android 2.2 Froyo, Nvidia Graphics.. It supports video conferencing and such.. Maybe too much for a kid.

I could also buy a refurb ipod touch for $150 shipped.. I just don't know much about the apps and how many free ones are out there for it. From the looks of the Android Market, you have enough apps to keep you busy for weeks..

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I haven't really used the tablets too much, but comparing my ipod touch to my htc evo (android) I am absolutely sold on android over apple it's just flat out better.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just found out that the Ipod Touch for $150 is the second generation model, no good.

I think I am going with the NEC Tablet.

·
Boost!!!
814 Posts
the ipod touch screens are very fragile and cracked/broken screens arent covered by any kind of warrenty. my wifes fell out of her jacket pocket when she was getting off the toilet. it might have fallen a foot if that,and the screen shattered like someone hit it with a hammer...we called apple and they want 120 to fix it even though it was under warrenty and we even got an extra protection plan when we bought it and they wouldnt do a dang thing about it. i suggest going online and looking at which one has the best DURABILITY and features since you are getting one for your kid. you definately want something that costs over 200 bucks to last!!!

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
I haven't really used the tablets too much, but comparing my ipod touch to my htc evo (android) I am absolutely sold on android over apple it's just flat out better.
I agree, most of my friends have iphones but I bought an LG Optimus instead and I am incredibly happy. It has removable storage so I threw a 32GB memory card in it and loaded it to the brim with music. The apps for it are awesome, and its incredibly useful. I love the drop down menu of android over iOS and the ability to easily run third party apps.

To an 11 year old, they probably couldnt tell the difference anyway since the general layout is similar...

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I decided to get the NEC Android tablet. It just seems you get more for your money going this way. Just as an example, Angry Birds is $2.00 on iphone, its 100% free on Android. I don't like getting nickle and dimed.

·
Registered
7,557 Posts
I have had 4 iPod Touches, 1-4 Gens. Love them. I first bought the 32GB 3G, lost it accidentally, I think I threw it away because it was in my hoodie pocket when cleaning out the work truck, throwing appliance trash into the dumpster. Didn't see it since. Before I lost that, I traded a Traxxas RC car I couldn't get started for a 16GB 1G Touch, gave it to my brother to use, he was 14, had it almost two years. He loves it and has taken great care of it. Listens to music, plays games, surfs the internet, it was easier than a computer to get for him. It doesn't have a built-in speaker (which is good, he would play music even if we didn't want him to) or the volume rocker on the side. The BlueTooth doesn't matter.

Next I bought an 8GB 2G for $100 shipped on one of the forums. Had it in my pocket backwards, cracked the screen. Replaced it with an Amazon digitizer, a couple weeks later the button was going out, dropped it on the ground in the snow from my S10, cracked the screen. Just a couple days ago I replaced it, picked up two digitizers for $25 on eBay so I would have a spare, replaced it in 15 minutes maybe, with my cat on my lap even. I know they say not to use screwdrivers, but it's not perfect, and I got it fixed in no time. I gave it to my mom to use yesterday.

I have a 32GB 4G that works great, I love it. The camera lets me take pictures, scan bar codes for checking CD and book prices on Amazon, I really love it. I check the forums on it, but don't like typing long sentences and surfing. I have some Samsung BlueTooth headphones that I use with it, work okay, but not the best. Good for the few bucks I spent on them, and work downstairs.

I've had two Classic iPods and two Nanos, so this has been great for keeping my playlists. I've never had one go bad on me.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have all mac stuff - iPod, iMac, iPhone, iPad...and I've neve had any problems with any of my stuff, unlike all the guys I work with who have had to factory restore their droid phones multiple times within 1 year.

You get what you pay for. If you want a Lexus, don't buy a daewoo...

·
Registered
95 Posts
right now i have a motorola i1 android with nextel and im loving it, i also have an ipod touch the last gen i think its 4th?? and to be honest for the kids i would buy the ipod because it has more and better games

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Android > Apple.

Definitely more user friendly and more efficient in terms of cost. Apple is screwy with some things, like how the iPad doesn't support Flash...really...who's bright idea was that..."nah, we don't need that."

·
Registered
208 Posts
My daughter is 30 months old a she is good to play with a ipod with the tom talk cat and to open YouTube an browse for videos I think a ipod or iPad will be the best the kids from this generation are more smart to use that kind of products.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
We got the Android pad working and she has been happy with it. She is already on level 23 in Angry Birds! :tongue: The Google Voice app works very nicely on it, she can text her friends all day long without any fees. She is also really into Radio Disney, so she listens to that using the internal speaker.

Yes, you get what you pay for. From the looks of it, the $225 was wisely spent.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts