TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am trying to avoid welding more than once and cutting more than once.. im asking you guys whats the degree of angle the cats are.. i always assumed 45 degrees

·
PostSlut
13,597 Posts
hugh?

you just weld them in where they need to go.....I would run them whatever angle my pipes are(they look straight to me).

·
̇
3,701 Posts
96Darkstar4.6 said:
I'm asking you guys whats the degree of angle the cats are.. i always assumed 45 degrees

Looks more like 120 Degrees??..

:zdunno:

Here's a pic of a 4.6 Thunderbird Catalytic Converter set-up..

Good luck making it fit perfect the first try..

;)

Rayo..

·
Super Moderator
5,022 Posts
hugh? they aren't straight.. and i don't have butt-loads of money to take to a shop... im having a buddy do it to save money..
Single or dual exhaust?

If single - you ever consider ordering the OEM fit Magnaflow or Walker pipe?

1996 4.6L at RockAuto - http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php?carcode=1198795&parttype=5808 . $322 for the Magnaflow, bolts right in.

Then there's the Mandrel Exhaust System dualie front part - http://www.mandrelexhaustsystems.com/servlet/the-195/94-dsh-97-THUNDERBIRD-4.6L-EXHAUST/Detail and it's only $295 to $445 (2.25/2.5, aluminized/stainless, X/resonator).

RwP

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You should tack it in place in the car, then drop the whole y pipe back down and weld it up. You will need to make some intermediary pipes to make the aftermarket cats fit, even then it will be hella tight. I actually did put one on my 92 Cougar v6 on the RH side, but it ended up further away from the engine. Those small diameter spun converters would fit much better.

·
The Parts Guy
7,344 Posts
im doing it off car.. and im straight piping it.. i need it to work cause my passenger cat is shot..
You need to at least tack everything together on the car. You can remove it to do your finish welds, but if you're just eyeballing it on the floor, you're going to run into trouble when you go to fit it to the car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts