TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay...
Recently got my interest in Manga/Animé back again..
To my wifes big horror I might add.. :D

Since I've been gone for a while, anybody
got any suggestion in good Manga??

So far I've got these DVD's
Ghost in the shell 1 & 2 (innocence)
Ghost in the shell SAC
Appleseed 1 & 2
Akira

and about 30 other on VHS..
But as you notice.. I've got really high standards
when it comes to the drawing.. Lupin the 3rd, that Disneys anime and
sh!t like that sucks 'cause they don't have any teeths, don't blink and so on..

So if anyone has any good suggestions please let me know..
Bet OtakuJohn might have some.. :D

Thanks!

//Per

·
PostSkank
3,231 Posts
well, before the pros jump in, I'll lay down some of my favorites.

I really like the Cowboy Bebop series. Its also about the only English voice-over that I can stand to watch. The Neon Genesis Evangelion series is pretty good too. And dont forget Akira!

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Cowboy Bebop (final episodes rock!), and Berserk. Not much for the other mainstream stuff. Akira is too out there. I like Princess Mononoke and some other random stuff.

PJ

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I'll third Cowboy Bebop.

GITS: SAC 2nd Gig should be available on DVD and if you know a good fansub site, probably there as well.

As far as Series go, I'm watching the following:

Naruto (Now in it's like... 6th or 7th season)

Full Metal Alchemist

Samurai Champloo

If you haven't seen them, I'd suggest the following:

FLCL (way out there, but entertaining)

.hack//SIGN

Initial D (4th Stage is currently in production and the first 5 or 6 episodes are available fansubbed.)

That's my shortlist. Have fun.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cool! Keep 'em coming!

GITS SAC 2nd gig.. Would that be more episodes than the
first 28 or something??
The 7th disc hasn't been released here yet...
And they cost 57 bucks per DVD over here..

Don't care much for the one's with English subtitles..
Get's to confusing listening to Japanese, reading english and thinking Swedish..
:D

//Per

·
Registered
871 Posts
Naruto!!!

·
Registered
583 Posts
If you're big on level of art or CG.. ProductionIG and Gonzo are two studios that usually come out good. Gonzo has spit stuff out such as Vandread, Full Metal Panic (a TRUE second season coming soon! not that Fumoffu shoujo crap :p ), Kiddy Grade.. ProductionIG has GitS if I'm remembering right and several movies.. one that comes to mind is Jin-Roh .. not one of those happy-go-lucky type.

Nadesico is another I like, Crest of the Stars (Banner of the Stars 1-2) is a good series.. (4th installment supposedly to come). Armitage3 is a good movie/OAV set.. Macross Plus is good also (love the music - Yoko Kanno) .. For humor, of the new stuff.. I rather really liked Azumanga Daiou.. Excel Saga is a zany classic as well as FLCL (Furi Kuri, or the freakin americanized name Fooly Kooly *bleh*).

·
Registered
975 Posts
My favorites include Rurouni Kenshin, Inuyasha, Cowboy Bebop, Fushigi Yuugi, Love Hina, and Tenchi Muyo. All but Fushigi Yuugi are pretty mainstream though.

·
Registered
583 Posts
heh, guess you dont like that older style or the similar hand-drawn style. It's done by ProductionIG.. the production value is high.. just a different style. I personally go for story/enjoyment when I watch an anime.. which is why I get ridiculed for watching some shoujo series'.. heh. To me, some of the best stuff is old-school.. but what can I say. I liked Jin-Roh... the story was somewhat dark and not exactly happy. Tore Akira all to pieces, imho (didnt care for Akira if you couldn't tell.. might have something to do with the over-hype before I watched it.. same deal with Neon Genenis Evangelion)

·
Sweet T
3,452 Posts
I didn't like Akira either. And it isn't really anything to do with the animation style. There was just nothing about the movie that yanked me into it. With all the hype it got, even state-side, I expected so much more than what I go. If you want it, I'll sell it to ya for 10 bucks plus shipping. lol.

·
Chief of Warranty Police
1,492 Posts
I was always a big fan of Fooly Cooly...although if I remember correctly there were only a few episodes.

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
I hate to resurrect a thread, but I figured this was as good a place as any to ask...

What is the difference between the "Oh, My Goddess" OVA’s and "Ah, My Goddess" the TV series?

I have the first three DVD's for the "Ah, My Goddess", but am thinking of getting the OVA's. But I don't want to get them if they are basically the same. :D

p.s. Just finished watching “Najica, Blitz Tactics" and I must admit that when they say, "Taking the gratuitous panty shot to a new level and turning it into an art form"... they aren't kidding!!! :rofl: :zbeer: :rofl:

·
Registered
583 Posts
The OAVs came first.. they're pretty much selected stories from the manga.. the TV series is from last year and it follows the manga almost to the letter. They're both very similar in feel and voice acting, if you watch it with jap dubs and subtitles (proper way :p) (I haven't watched eps from either set back to back, so I don't have a hard grasp on that). Some of the eps overlap, being they're both from the manga, in select spots.. but I like the OAVs.. the movie is good too.. I've read most of the manga and still haven't come across the plot where the movie picked up, if it was pulled from the manga.

If gratuitous panty shots is your thing, you'd like Agent Aika.. it's a bit much for me.. but hey, whatever floats your boat :p

too add another link as well, http://www.anidb.net is another good source of info

1 - 20 of 25 Posts