TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This squeak basically occurs 100% of the time the engine is running, with the exception of when it's been up to operating temperature for about 10 minutes.

I have replaced the alternator bearings, both idler pulleys, the water pump, and the a/c clutch. I put a tube up to my ear and listened to each of the pulleys and it sounded like the squeak was coming from the harmonic balancer, but when I took off the belt to see if it would move it was solid. When I went to the power steering pump pulley, I was able to pull it forward and push it back roughly 1/8" and when I spun it, it made a rattling noise. So I'm pretty sure the squeak is coming from the p/s pump.

My question is - if the power steering pump isn't making the noise, what are the chances it could be from the harmonic balancer? And how much of a pain are either to replace?

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm.... never thought of that! :bangwall: Now all I need to do is wait for the engine to cool down some.

·
Premium Member
2,546 Posts
Gator backs are freakin GREAT... my car seems to be eating them though... one of the pulleys must have been out of whack... Hopefully when I put it back together it will be just fine.

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't rule out the belt, but I don't understand how that could be the problem? The squeak doesn't sound like slipping rubber. It's only about a year old; no cracks or other signs of age...

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awkwardly enough when I just went out and started the car before removing the belt to make sure it was squeaking, it wasn't making a sound. This part I can't figure out (and probably should have mentioned initially) - it'll go away for a week or two, then come back for a week or two. :confused:

Also, as the engine warms up the squeak persists only at progressively higher RPMs. IE, at operating temps for 5 minutes, it only squeaks above 1500 RPM. After 10 minutes at operating temp, it squeaks above 2500 RPM, etc.

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
Damn gerbils.
No, Mr. Lemmywinks, Noooo!

:rofl:

(South Park; no, don't watch it...)

All the squeaks I've had, you've pretty much replaced.

I did have one of the steering pumps seize, shred the belt, bend the pulley, and then be totally fine for weeks after that; until it did it again while I was working on it.

I originally thought something got caught in it until it seized the second time...

This could be the beginning of that; it only squeaked while it was shredding, tho. :zdunno:

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
The harmonic balancer is two pieces of metal, with rubber injected between.

They rattle, usually, when they go bad; and if it rattles long enough, the outer piece will come off.

When you have the belt off, see if it moves back and forth.

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Earlier today I checked it and it didn't move at all, so I'm pretty certain for now that the balancer itself isn't my issue. That leaves me with p/s pump or front seal. Hopefully it's the former, since I have no idea what all is involved with replacing the front seal ... but I imagine it's not pretty.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Earlier today I checked it and it didn't move at all, so I'm pretty certain for now that the balancer itself isn't my issue. That leaves me with p/s pump or front seal. Hopefully it's the former, since I have no idea what all is involved with replacing the front seal ... but I imagine it's not pretty.
About the same as changing the balancer. If your balancer is bad, you replace the balancer and since you had to take the balancer off, you change the front seal at the same time since it's right there. If the seal is bad, you remove the balancer, change the seal, then put the balancer back on.

Basically the same procedure. Oh, and I know it's a "harmonics damper", not a balancer, before someone chimes in with that info, lol!

Good luck with it!
~Richard

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Power steering pump it is!

Went out to start the car this morning and it was squealing like a two year old, so I removed the belt and started it again. Nice and quiet. :) Put the belt back on to make sure it was still squealing and sure enough, it was.

Now I ask - best p/s pump to replace it with? Rockauto lists four to choose from:

A-1 Cardone Reman. $60.49 + $40 core
Atsco Reman. $74.79 + $28 core
ACDelco Reman. $78.79 + $27.50 core
Motorcraft (appears new) $182.79

I can get a Motorcraft pump from tascaparts for $122.80 + $40 core.

What do you guys think? Also, should I replace any of the lines while I'm at it?

·
Super Moderator
10,580 Posts
What do you guys think? Also, should I replace any of the lines while I'm at it?
I think replacing the lines is probably one of the hardest things to do, other than replace the rack.

I'd wait until the engine is out, if it were me.

If a line breaks, that's another deal; but connecting that one line took me ~3 hours.

·
5,650 Posts
My $0.02: Don't get an aftermarket pump. I probably went through about 4 (3 different brands) when I did my engine swap. Each had its own problem. One didn't pump well at low RPMs, one had a EVO solenoid that was stuck closed, the other stuck open, and the last one excessively noisy. This is one of those items I would say to go OEM with.

And Grog is right, don't do the lines unless you need to. You will quickly grow to hate your car. :(

·
Super Moderator
9,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Arrighty then, that's kind of what I was thinking. Any reason why I shouldn't go with the reman off tascaparts (that's quite a bit cheaper)?

·
5,650 Posts
Arrighty then, that's kind of what I was thinking. Any reason why I shouldn't go with the reman off tascaparts (that's quite a bit cheaper)?
You just have to decide if you want to go through the process of returning the core. That should be the only difference.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts