TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
alright first of i'm going to be picking up a 93 t-bird with a 3.8

the car isin decent shape but just recently the motor started knocking.

i also have a 94 markviii that the trans just went out

ive been browsing around and havent been able to find what i'm goin to need to

swap in the markviii motor in the thunderbird.

any help would be greatly appreciated

i'm just wondering what i'm goin to have to swap like the harness exhaust trans motor mounts etc..

i figured i'd come here because ive picked up alot of info over the years and just recently joined.

·
Super Moderator
11,961 Posts
yea, you wont find too much info on swapping a mark motor into a 93 3.8 car because not many people have done it.....if you've picked up a lot of info over the years, then a few more weeks of reading up for a swap like this won't kill ya....trust me...you'll need it.......for example, if you didnt know that the '93 3.8 Tbird has a cap and rotor ignition system, and the '94 mark VIII uses an EDIS (electronic distributorless Ignition system) that uses dual coil packs to fire the 8 cylinders, then you're in for a steep learning curve

but it begs us to ask: why not just have a built trans swapped into the mark VIII?.....if it's only the trans that went out, i see no good reason to yank the motor out of an otherwise perfectly good car, just to have to go thru all the work of making it work in a 93 tbird that came with a 3.8.......because you'd surely need to swap out the entire wire harness with all the modules and power distribution center, have a custom exhaust rigged up, and possibly even swap the K-members since i believe they are different, probably have to do a cluster/dash swap, etc, etc......seems like a lot of trouble just cause the trans went out onthe mark VIII :zdunno:

·
The Parts Guy
7,267 Posts
Run a search on "DOHC" under my username (racecougar). I stuck a DOHC in a 90 XR7 some time back. Your swap will be similar in the amount of work that will be necessary. I do agree with those above...swapping a DOHC into a 89-93 MN12 is a much more involved than installing one into a 94-97.

-Rod

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
to sum it all up some guys have guns

some guys have labs

i'm the kinda guy that his garage (or lack there of) is his lab
and car are my chemicals.

it was juat a thaought that i would like to put in motion but the t-bird i picked up is really nice so as long as its nice to me i'll just throw in another 3.8 or carbed 351

as far as the lincoln your right its a nice car to just start gutting all because i was too lazy to swap a trans. i'll definitly agree with you guys on that one.

with that said anyone wanna buy a markviii or have a cheap 3.8 in mind. lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres alot of info on this site thanks for the push in which direction to look for info.

after alot of reading i'm gonna keep the bird a v-6 until i get my 5.0 done and i'll hang on to lincoln for a while thanks guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts