TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,223 Posts
If you change to sc/lx caps you'll need to change lugnuts to the open ended type as the closed ended ones stick out to far and don't let the cap clip in the wheel

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I have a '97 Thunderbird sport which originally had the 16" sport wheels with the center caps with the 4 holes/exposed lug nuts. That, in my opinion, is a FUGLY look.

FYI - FUGLY=f**king ugly, LOL!

Shortly after I bought the car, I put a set of wheels on it that were originally standard on the 1999 Taurus SHO (I had previously used them on a 2004 Mercury Sable I used to own). Those are, in my opinion, nice looking wheels. They have a brushed finish to them, with silver sparkle paint in the pockets; there was a version with charcoal paint on the pockets used on the 2003 Taurus with the 100 year anniversary package that I thought would look really nice with my Pearl White paint, but those weren't the wheels I had, unfortunately. However, the offset of the Taurus wheels is different from the T-Bird wheels, and they didn't look "right" on the rear of the car - they looked like they were too far into the wheel wells. I wish I could've figured out a safe way to make the rear wheels stick outward maybe another ½-1", because I'd have kept that style wheel on there (on the front of the car, the Taurus wheels looked perfectly fine).

But, I didn't like how the rears looked, so in 2012 I ordered a set of reconditioned '94-'95 Thunderbird SC wheels, with the notch in the wheel for the center caps, and I put those on my car, along with the flat, press on center caps that completely hide the lug nuts. That, I think is a much better look than the center caps that expose the lug nuts.

I'm not at home right now (I drive a tractor-trailer for a living, and I'm in Kansas, at the moment), but when I get home, I can post a couple of pictures of the wheels so you can see them.

By the way, hello from a fellow Arizona T-Bird owner!

Dennis

·
Registered
34 Posts
I have a '97 Thunderbird sport which originally had the 16" sport wheels with the center caps with the 4 holes/exposed lug nuts. That, in my opinion, is a FUGLY look.

FYI - FUGLY=f**king ugly, LOL!

Shortly after I bought the car, I put a set of wheels on it that were originally standard on the 1999 Taurus SHO (I had previously used them on a 2004 Mercury Sable I used to own). Those are, in my opinion, nice looking wheels. They have a brushed finish to them, with silver sparkle paint in the pockets; there was a version with charcoal paint on the pockets used on the 2003 Taurus with the 100 year anniversary package that I thought would look really nice with my Pearl White paint, but those weren't the wheels I had, unfortunately. However, the offset of the Taurus wheels is different from the T-Bird wheels, and they didn't look "right" on the rear of the car - they looked like they were too far into the wheel wells. I wish I could've figured out a safe way to make the rear wheels stick outward maybe another ½-1", because I'd have kept that style wheel on there (on the front of the car, the Taurus wheels looked perfectly fine).

But, I didn't like how the rears looked, so in 2012 I ordered a set of reconditioned '94-'95 Thunderbird SC wheels, with the notch in the wheel for the center caps, and I put those on my car, along with the flat, press on center caps that completely hide the lug nuts. That, I think is a much better look than the center caps that expose the lug nuts.

I'm not at home right now (I drive a tractor-trailer for a living, and I'm in Kansas, at the moment), but when I get home, I can post a couple of pictures of the wheels so you can see them.

By the way, hello from a fellow Arizona T-Bird owner!

Dennis
Kind of not related to the topic, but I'd love to see the SC Wheels on a 96/97 Bird as I'm looking into getting some for mine!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I have a set of the later style 16x7s which have the 5 snap tabs inside and used the center caps with lug nut holes on my '95 LX. I never did like the 5 lug nut hole centers though.

I modified them by adding a small "slot" for removing the flat cap and I installed a set of flat caps with some "T-bird" decals ..... I also slightly worked the "hump" of the 5 tabs to ease install and removal in the hope to not destroy the plastic caps. 5 humps really mashed in on the retainer ring.

I bought 20 lug nuts.

The slot is there, it is enough that I can use a FB screw driver and gently ease the centers off, mine are 180 degrees from the valve stem.

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Weird, I've always loved the 5 lug caps that the 96/97's had. In fact I just mounted a set on my 95 the other day.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I have a set of the later style 16x7s which have the 5 snap tabs inside and used the center caps with lug nut holes on my '95 LX. I never did like the 5 lug nut hole centers though.

I modified them by adding a small "slot" for removing the flat cap and I installed a set of flat caps with some "T-bird" decals ..... I also slightly worked the "hump" of the 5 tabs to ease install and removal in the hope to not destroy the plastic caps. 5 humps really mashed in on the retainer ring.

I bought 20 lug nuts.

The slot is there, it is enough that I can use a FB screw driver and gently ease the centers off, mine are 180 degrees from the valve stem.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd22/CrystalPistolPics/CrystalPistolPics3 Cars/Car Details/022114appliedblackcenterdecals4_zps235e7f97.jpg
Can you get me better pictures of that? I have SC center caps in the garage and was trying to think of how I could put them on without breaking the cap or scratching the crap out of the rim.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Can you get me better pictures of that? I have SC center caps in the garage and was trying to think of how I could put them on without breaking the cap or scratching the crap out of the rim.
First, I used a dremel with a thick HD cutoff wheel held sideways to cut a shallow screwdriver notch that blends into one hump that grips the snap ring, I chose the one opposite the valve stem .... doesn't take a deep one either.

Then
use same to lower the profile of the "humps" as they really squeeze the stainless steel snap ring tight, and with 5 of them instead of three, there's less room for the excess. Go slow and make frequent test fits.

I did later wrap a round of masking tape around snap ring exterior, it aids in friction. In well over a year, no loss of centers. I bought these centers cheap off Ebay and repainted and applied Bird stickers I got from a member here. I have a like new set of the centers with OEM decals that fit my Blades, they are same part numbers.

Go slow, do not erase the whole hump ..... just lessen it a little and try to do each equally. Test fit often. I did mine "off the car" in my shop.

This Spring I am going to repaint the wheels themselves with same paint as used on these centers.

Here's pics.

There is a notch there!

Notice 5 humps, but only the one opposite the valve stem got the blend all the way to make a screwdriver notch. The others just a little massaging.

Notch area closeup:

Other hump massaging:

Wheel sans center cap:

Wheel with cap, though I meant tp place cap with Tbirds head to valve stem .... :D

Hope they help?

:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts