TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a '92 t-bird LX w/ABS. the pedal gets realy stiff and the ABS and brake light come on at the same time. feels like it would with a vacuum hose off of a brake booster(no power assist feeling). fluid is good. this happens off and on. any ideas?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Sounds to me like you either have a bad brake booster or a leaky (or kinked) vacuum line. Also, rubber vacuum lines can collapse under pressure when they get old so if you have any that don't leak but feel weak that might be the problem.

·
Registered
141 Posts
There is also a pick up in front of the pedal that might be hanging up occasionally.
It's a black piece of plastic that threads into the rusty metal and has a small vaccuum line on it.

Not a real common cause, but it's worth checking since it's alot easier and cheaper than a whole booster.

Since it's intermittent, I doubt it's the booster itself. I wouldn't think it would work most of the time with out flaw. But a collapsing vacuum line sounds very likely, since that happens under certain conditions. Easy way the check it is to free-rev your engine (not too high of course) and see if the pedal feels different as you do so.
Wont allways show itself this way but if it does you'll know for sure it's a collapsing line.

·
Super Moderator
8,289 Posts
Did 92 still have the ABS system without the vacuum booster? If so, it sounds like you need to replace the accumulator.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.