TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First off, here's the VIN:
1FALP62WHTH125091
If someone could run that, I'd appreciate it.

Now here's the advice part:
Yesterday, my dad told me about a SuperCoupe sitting out behind one of the local used car places and that it didn't seem to be attracting a lot of attention. I jumped on the chance to go take a look at it. My friend and I went out to look and I was surprised. It wasn't a super coupe, but a 96, bright red, 4.6. Clean interior, 118xxx miles, paint needs some work (nothing a day with the deep crystal system wouldn't sure), body is straight (no door sag). Now for the questions . . .
What do I need to check for? I know the intake and transmission are places of concern. What else do I need to check for on a 4.6 car (or an MN-12 in general)? Also, what would be a fair price? Like I said, the paint is decent, interior is clean (cloth seats, no rips or burns), CD player, factory spoiler, 15" wheels, it got a bra (so I'll be checking under there for damage). I think that's it.

Finally, I thought all the 96's had the idiot light center under the radio, this one had the cubby. Is this common place on the 96's as well (this is the first MN-12 I've looked at since I bought the Cougar, so I'm not as well versed in their eccentricities)

·
Registered
927 Posts
If it's a tbird you're looking at, I think the VIN would be 1FALP62W...

My '96 has the cubby under the radio. My '97 has the ashtray there.

I've heard you should check the front suspension components. Look for cracked or torn rubber pieces/boots, etc. Other than that, I can't really help you.

·
Who is John Galt?
6,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Black_97_LX said:
If it's a tbird you're looking at, I think the VIN would be 1FALP62W...

My '96 has the cubby under the radio. My '97 has the ashtray there.

I've heard you should check the front suspension components. Look for cracked or torn rubber pieces/boots, etc. Other than that, I can't really help you.
Thanks, I fixed it (couldn't read my own writing).

I just got off the phone with the guy. Right now, there is no title for it. Basically, it's a repo. The kid was supposed to bring the dealer the title, but didn't. Now the kid gets to deal with the Secretary of State Police. Now for the problems. It needs tranny work, a new fuel pump, and the seat needs fixed (kid liked to ride with the ghetto lean I guess). He said that once all of it got worked out, he'd ask less than 2k for it. What should I offer for it?

Almost forgot, I asked him if the intake had been updated and he said he'd never heard of that problem in the 4.6's. I told him about the problems with the coolant crossovers. He said that all he'd ever done with the 4.6's was change the plugs, that they were one of the best engines he's ever dealt with.

·
Registered
927 Posts
cougar_guy04 said:
Thanks, I fixed it (couldn't read my own writing).

I just got off the phone with the guy. Right now, there is no title for it. Basically, it's a repo. The kid was supposed to bring the dealer the title, but didn't. Now the kid gets to deal with the Secretary of State Police. Now for the problems. It needs tranny work, a new fuel pump, and the seat needs fixed (kid liked to ride with the ghetto lean I guess). He said that once all of it got worked out, he'd ask less than 2k for it. What should I offer for it?

Almost forgot, I asked him if the intake had been updated and he said he'd never heard of that problem in the 4.6's. I told him about the problems with the coolant crossovers. He said that all he'd ever done with the 4.6's was change the plugs, that they were one of the best engines he's ever dealt with.
Make sure you get a clean title.

I'm not sure what to tell you about the intake. I think a couple people here have decided against my car because I think it has the original intake. But, technically, there isn't anything wrong with it.

With the mechanical problems, I'd start off at $1000 and work up from there, but I'm certainly no expert. I paid $1300 after taxes and title for my '96 with 207k miles, a bad water pump, a fuel pump that was going bad, and some minor body damage.

Someone at work told me once that mechanical stuff can be fixed, but it's much harder to fix cosmetic stuff, so you should be in pretty good shape.

·
Resident redneck
1,921 Posts
Black_97_LX said:
Someone at work told me once that mechanical stuff can be fixed, but it's much harder to fix cosmetic stuff, so you should be in pretty good shape.
you havent played with bondo very much have you?

·
Registered
927 Posts
redneckcougarguy said:
you havent played with bondo very much have you?
No, but I've done a little amateur body work. (rust repair, and paint matching on some of my mom's old cars)
I'd rather buy a car with flawless paint and interior with a bad transmission, and blown engine, than a car with flawless mechanicals and a torn-up, dirty interior and peeling paint. (assuming they were close to the same price) Just my opinion though. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts