TCCoA Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
For people wanting the short version, here...

2.5" True Dual with mandrel bends, no cats, Magnaflow DIDO muffler.

I finally got around to starting my exhaust project last Saturday, and finished it this Saturday. The old exhaust was the factory downtubes with gutted cats, a hacked Y-pipe, then a Dynomax cat-back (2.5 single under the gas tank, split to (2) 2.25 pipes back to tail mounted muffs). It couldn't have been flowing very well with my DOHC turning 6500 rpm. :thumbsd:

For my new, I started completely over. A parts list for what I bought can be found HERE. It might ask you for a password, just click cancel.

First thing, I took the Hedman header extensions and modified them to work. I put them in a lathe and cut the cone down so it would seat properly on the manifold. I had to slot the holes slightly in the Dynomax flanges, and they fit the factory manifolds with little modification. After that, it was just fitting and welding pipe to make the downtubes and into the muffler.

After the muffler is where I got creative. I ordered a part of the Dynomax cat-back kit for these cars and modified one of them to work for the tricky under the gas tank area. One remained unmodified, but I cut a section out of the middle of one of the intermediate pipes and welded it back together so it would nest nicely with the other one.

I still haven't decided on tips yet, so the system ends a little early right now. Both sides are aimed just below the bumper, and back about 12" so I should be able to just stick my tips on there once I decide what I want. Anyway, here's a couple pics of the finished product. Sorry, I don't have any on the car pics, but it's tucked up really nice. I'll try to get some undercar shots later on, but I don't have a lift, so it's hard to get complete system shots.

Here's a little movie of startup, clean-out, pull away. Exhaust - 3 meg

And here's a smaller one for the slower connections (Same movie, only 100k). Exhaust - 100k

So what do you think? Special thanks to my good friend Ralph, aka the best welder I know, for all of his help!

Mike

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
sounds niceee low rumble the exhaust looks great nice work!

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
That is a like work of art. Makes me ALMOST want to redo my compression bent exhaust.

When axing my cats I went straight from a dumped Magnaflow to a Magnaflow + 2 turbo mufflers. The drone was horrible dumped, and so loud goosing the throttle would literally scare old people on the highway. I've always been curious what the 5.0 would sound like with tailpipes minus the turbo muffs.

Sounds awesome from behind the car. Is there any drone on the highway?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No highway drone that I've noticed. Once you get up to speed and you're just maintaining speed with very light throttle, it's fine, regardless of RPM. The sound is really completely dependant on throttle position, not RPM. It can be loud at almost any RPM if you're on the throttle, and quiet at almost any RPM if you're not on the throttle. Even with the 4.56 gear at 67 mph (around 2700 RPM), it's fairly quiet going down the freeway as long as I'm just maintaining speed with light throttle.

Thanks for the comments. :D

Mike

·
CEO, WT Club
2,648 Posts
What happened to the old cat back?:D Looks good man.

-Joel

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Mike,

Looks GOOD, sounds even BETTER!

-Josh

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike,

Looks GOOD, sounds even BETTER!

-Josh
Sounds very nice. Perhaps I'll consider 2.5" instead of 2.25" for my 96 :)

-Melon
Thanks guys. It might be a little louder than I would like, because it takes away from the sleeper aspect of the car. But I think it sure sounds mean.

Mike

·
Registered
4,407 Posts
That thing sounds awesome.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sick job on the exhaust mike.

That 32v sounds really exotic with those pipes.
That thing sounds awesome.
Thanks again for the comments. Justin, are you gonna come into town for the NMRA event at C-Bus this year? It's Labor Day weekend. I was one of two or three there last year. That was it.

What do you guys think I should do about tips? I'm thinking really simple, but I'm curious about what the populace thinks.

Mike

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
My hat off to you Mike. Great job dude. Got a question, do you have emissions were you live? If I would do that here in TX, I would not pass emissions test.. I really like how it sounds man. Nice job

Israel

·
Registered
483 Posts
sounds awesome... i like angle cut tips i have some 3 inch on my 96 i hate when people have them sticking out waaay to far. mine are tucked in but you can still see em from the side.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Israel - Thanks. No emissions testing in Columbus area. Cincinnati, yes, but Columbus, no.

I definately want something subtle with the tips....I'm considering not running any at all, and just extending my pipes instead. I'll make up my mind soon I guess. :confused:

Mike

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Good work.

If the rear valance has cutouts, a nice set of dual-wall polished SS slant-cut tips would be good. If not, I opt for simple chrome turndowns. I think big tips sitcking out too far under the plain valance looks hoopty. :)

Has anyone used SS flex joints near the headers?
I agree with that 100%. A lot of tips end up having a "stuck on" look, rather than fitting the lines and general feel of the body. I like it to look like they belong there, not scream "I just tossed on some tips".

Mike

·
Registered
694 Posts
So you custom fabricated that system? Im dying for some catless downpipes... I gutted my cats. The Exhaust sound is great... but I get a weird noise from where the cats are sitting... its not a leak or no junk inside them... I triple checked the empty cats before reinstalling them for any excess material inside. Hard to describe. Its like the resonance is hitting that cat chamber and causing a racket. Plus it prob isnt flowing as good as staright downpipes anyways.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.