TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone please post a list and price of the things i need for a cyl. head swap. i looked in the tech section, but its all jibberish, mostly b/c i dont have any kind of car right now. all i want to do is get some used mustang heads, and install. aft first, i thought that it would be just get the heads, gaskets, and bolts and swap. but after reading different forums, and seeing things like 'coustom gastets' ect, i am confused. i am a car newbie, so of you could break it down or even give me a site that can and explain this (in english), then i will be happy

i am trying to get my plans and goals straight, before i got this car. i asking b/c i want to know if its in my budget.

that is all.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Depends what car you start with. Give more details and you will get more info. Year and motor most importantly.

-Miller

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hello
As far as heads if you have the 96 or 97 tbird or cougar you have the good heads and they dont need changing just a set of cams PI are best(cost and power wise). As far as what car to buy it depends on what you want. I have a 95 with a 4.6L and i love the engine its one of the best ever made with the music on loud in my car you wouldn't even know its on at idle. But there are flaws in the motors design ie heads crappy intake etc. Overall i love my bird. Its got the sexy stlye and power as well as luxury aspects. The only thing that sucks is there aren't a ton of bolt on parts like for the mustangs and they tend to be more expensive. So long story short if you want to do alot of wrenching on something get a bird with a 5.0 in it. If you want to do the occasional mod and get great perfomance get a 4.6L bird. (or cougar). You won't go wrong with either. Watch out for a couple of things though. Look for any oil leaks around the oil pan and check the oil condition if its low or black as night. As look underneath the car thooughly for any signs of fluid leakege especially at the diff and on the cats. It took me a year to find my oil leak because it keeped hitting the cats and burning up so i never saw oil on the ground. Also look for signs of mods gone wrong once again i found a mess underneath my dash. The tool that had it before me cut every wire underneath the dash for a crappy remote starter and alarm system that has less options then the factory alarm. Any how also look forany rust along the bottom of the doors and finally buy exactly what you want. Don't settle for anything you are not completely happy with. Believe me settleing for second best will leave you wanting number one still. Sorry for the long post just have so many things to say on the subject. Thanks for reading my latest novel.

Will

·
Registered
748 Posts
If your looking at a 4.6L SOHC motor..........I'd say stay with the NPI heads...but maybe get them ported and polished with a valve job..... and throw on a PI intake on top.

If you're talking a 5.0L.........then you have ALOT of options!!!!!!!!!

Tell us which motor and year you're talking about so we can give you more info.

Slowride

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
If you haven't bought a car yet, I'd say that a 96 or 97 is worth ~$500 more just in the engine bay since it's more compatible with performance parts (stangs were 5L until 95 and then shared motors in 96-98).

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
GreenBird said:
If you haven't bought a car yet, I'd say that a 96 or 97 is worth ~$500 more just in the engine bay since it's more compatible with performance parts (stangs were 5L until 95 and then shared motors in 96-98).
As an owner of a 94 4.6L, I'll have to second that. :mad:

IMHO 96 is the best overall. Good engine and good gauges. :thumbsup:

(But I like the overall looks of my 94 better than the 96/97's :tongue: )

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sorry, forgot to say what year.

i want a 96-97, 4.6L. i tried reading about the head swap, the more i look into it, the more they say i need, and the more confusing it is.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
With the 96-/97 cars most buys just swap an entire 03 explorer motor because it ends up caost almost the same as a head swap and you end up with a whole new motor. Search explorer and it shoudl come up with a lot of info. Most buys have beeen getting there motors from www.greenleafauto.com where they run from 1000-1200 dollars for the most part.

-Miller

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i cant do that b/c i cant do that my self, im only 17 w/ a limited knowledge about cars. i just want to know how much it would cost, i gonna get used heads, and use what ever else i can.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Well, if you're gonna do a head swap....then you'll still need some stuff. I don't have the part numbers off hand......but I should be able to locate my list of parts this weekend and get the numbers for ya. I also don't have the costs handy either, but again, I can tell you that when I get my parts list together for ya.

Anyways.....here's what you'll need for a head swap:

Head Gaskets
Intake gaskets---especially if your motor has higher mileage
New head bolts----or head stud kit from ARP....but those are kinda pricey
Exhaust manifold gaskets
Front Cover seals
A good shop manual---preferrably Chiltons

These parts are highly suggested to replace.....especially since you'd have everything torn down:

Timing chains
Tensioners
Guides
Timing chain crank gear---steal

Keep in mind also, you have to make sure the cams are precisely "in time" with each other. If one cam is one degree off from the other....the car will run like total crap. Head swaps on a 4.6L is not as simple as on a 5.0L....it's not impossible, but it is a more in debth job.

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
miller1995 said:
With the 96-/97 cars most buys just swap an entire 03 explorer motor because it ends up caost almost the same as a head swap and you end up with a whole new motor.

-Miller
I think you mean 94-95. A 96-97 can be haedswapped for about the price of the heads, intake, headgaskets, and intake gaskets.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Why are people swaping with the '02-03 Explorer engine instead of the GT engine??? IF I ever swap an engine I'll swap with a 97-98 cobra engine. Just out of curiousity, can a cobra bottom end be swapped with the SOHC MN12 bottom end?

What is the difference between the explorer than any other engines is my main Q??

My engine is a native,

Clay

·
Registered
748 Posts
cman2007 said:
Why are people swaping with the '02-03 Explorer engine instead of the GT engine??? IF I ever swap an engine I'll swap with a 97-98 cobra engine. Just out of curiousity, can a cobra bottom end be swapped with the SOHC MN12 bottom end?

What is the difference between the explorer than any other engines is my main Q??

My engine is a native,

Clay
I personally don't know why either. Maybe because they can be scored for less money??? I think the big differrence is the explorer motor has more TQ (something like that)......but I think that has some to do with the intake setup though. But I really don't know the BIG differrence is. I know I've always wanted to keep my original 4.6L block in my car......but if I ever did an all out engine swap...the Cobra DOHC motor is what I'd do.....not the Explorer motor

Yes, you can use the forged bottom end from a Cobra motor in a SOHC. The only differrence is the heads---DOHC vs. SOHC.....and of course, the Cobra has forged internals. If I remeber right though, if you use a Cobra crank, you need to replace the driveplate and TQ converter too......I believe they use an 8 bolt compared to our 6 bolts.

·
Registered
632 Posts
NO, people do the explorer swap because the engine is basically a 99+ Mustang GT engine (PI Headed) but with an aluminum block, which is lighter.

People dont do the cobra engine swap as often because of the price and hassle of rewiring everything.

-Andrey

·
Registered
501 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by cman2007

My engine is a native,

Clay
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1)you do not have to grind the motor mounts for an explorer swap,thats one thing
2)the other thing is the aluminum crossover that comes on 01+ intakes
3)and of course the aluminum block is 80lbs. lighter
4)you can use cobra pistons in a sohc block

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Embalmer said:
thank you so much. i was thinking of having my friend help me out, if its not to hard?? o well, i first need the car (1st week of june...) but thanx

my goal: 300 hp N/A on the stock bottom end. only b/c i know that i will need my car to drive everyday, and i cant afford 2-3 days w/o it (work, school, parents, ect)

o yeah, one more question, will i need to go w/ a higher grade of octane after the swap?

thanx soo much

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think I'm pushing about 235 or close to that with my stock engine and I think thats all I'm going to get out of it without swapping heads and intake. I'm also curious if DOHC heads will fit on a SOHC block? I deffinately want to leave my stock block in. Maybe just pull it out and replace all the lower bearings and the oil pump w/ an FRPP pump. Also new rings are good for a rebuild. PI heads w/ SS valves and a set of Crane cams w/ the PI intake should give high gains above 260 easy.

Clay

·
Amateur Expert
1,662 Posts
poison_i said:

thank you so much. i was thinking of having my friend help me out, if its not to hard?? o well, i first need the car (1st week of june...) but thanx

my goal: 300 hp N/A on the stock bottom end. only b/c i know that i will need my car to drive everyday, and i cant afford 2-3 days w/o it (work, school, parents, ect)

o yeah, one more question, will i need to go w/ a higher grade of octane after the swap?

thanx soo much
Your compression will go up one point or so - the cooler plugs and thermostat will help keep detonation away, but I run 93 octane in the heat of summer to be safe.

300 HP n/a will be hard to attain unless you massage the heads, better cams, exhaust, etc.

The job is not easy - a Ford service manual is helpful, but not gospel - it has way too many extra unneccessary steps. I've never been inside an engine before and a couple of friends helped me who had done it before.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts