TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is seriously starting to piss me off. So ok.. I was having trouble with the trans and I went ahead and changed the MLPS and trunk monkey suggested and the trans shifted fine. Now to yesterday. I was going to school and made a quick pit stop to make a payment, did not took me more than 5 mins, went outside and the car would just NOT start, i was like WTF. No crank, nada... The battery is 5 months old, so it can't be that.. Temp never went above the N, I changed the sensor on the manifold about 9 months ago. So I had to call my dad to pick my ass up, and when he got there we started the car and the damn thing worked...

A couple of minutes ago, I went to Hollywood video (5 minute drive), turned off the car and the damn would not start. Waited 3 minutes and it started again...

Seriously, WTH!!??? I did not touched any electronics (just when I changed the MLPS) and I have NEVER had this problem before. Could it be that the it's not cooling well enough and engine needs to cool before it starts?! I am speechless..

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
When you say, "no crank, nada" do you mean it wouldn't even turn over?

If so, based on your latest work, I would say the adjustment for the MLPS is slightly off and the PCM thinks you're not in park or neutral. Did you try moving the gear shift lever slightly to see if it would start?

Young whippersnapper .... that's the way cars used to be. J/K!! :tongue: :D

Shoot, my F100 is still like that sometimes!! :beek:

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When you say, "no crank, nada" do you mean it wouldn't even turn over?

If so, based on your latest work, I would say the adjustment for the MLPS is slightly off and the PCM thinks you're not in park or neutral. Did you try moving the gear shift lever slightly to see if it would start?

Young whippersnapper .... that's the way cars used to be. J/K!! :tongue: :D

Shoot, my F100 is still like that sometimes!! :beek:

NADA! I would turn the key and nothing happens.. Yeah, I did.... I tried to start in on neutral and nada... How exactly can I adjust the MLPS?! I mean it was not that hard to change, I followed the instructions that many posted here as to how to changed it...

·
Registered
7,758 Posts
With nothing, no clicking or anything, I would look at the usual culprits: Bad battery connections, corroded wires, etc.

And also, don't rule out that the new MLPS might be bad. I doubt it, but I've had more than a couple of times when a new item isn't right.

Don’t intermittent problems just SUCK!!

Anyway, that is just off the top of my head and good luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I vote for MPLS out of adjustment.

Make sure you line the marks up properly.
And maybe some crude got into the connector, clean it.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I had a similar problem with my '97 Cougar XR7, turned out one of the nuts to the high current battery fuse was just ever so slightly loose. Tightened the nut down and never had another problem.

·
Super Moderator
10,571 Posts
Did you set off the alarm?

The starter disconnect will reset if you lock and unlock it...

I've done this before; the next time it happens, try cycling the locks with the remote.

·
Clueless Poster
2,458 Posts
my moms explorer had this verysmae problem it still does it here and there. it will be running perfectly you shut it off adn go shopping or something comeback and it doesn nothing when you turn the key try it a couple of times adn then it eventually starts. i have no clue as to what is casuing it. but it would be cool if someone knew what it was.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts