TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
So sorry to hear this.

Reminds me of the stink that Concord, NC raised when Bruton Smith wanted to build zMax Dragstrip. Fortunately he had the financial pull to make them eat crow when they told him he couldn't build the track.

It was quite entertaining to watch the political backpedaling and sucking up to Bruton that went on when he threatened to close Concord, Motor Speedway.

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Well last time I check you can have a "green way" in a park for off road vehicles. ;)

·
Refrigerator Raider Hater
11,719 Posts
The city couldn't force the track out legally, so the next option is to make the owners an offer substantial enough to give them a better return than can be expected from operating the facility. Given the current climate, building a new track would be much more expensive and not a worthwhile investment.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Well, that's democracy for you. If you have a public segment behind you you can shut down any perceived nuisance. Good to know some things are same as they were in the sixties, seventies eighties.
- People buy cheap housing near airport then sue airport for noise.

It's just an extrapolation of 'concerned homeowners' lobbying to turn their through streets into 25 mph zones. Developers build them 4 lanes wide because there's no other throughs within a mile. Houses sell cheap on that street so young couples buy them then when they have kids squawk about cars doing 35-40 mph so they get it reduced. In violation of state speed limit guidelines.
If I ever get a ticket there I'm going to court and starting the ball rolling to turn them back to 35.

·
Super Moderator
11,928 Posts
Well, that's democracy for you. If you have a public segment behind you you can shut down any perceived nuisance. Good to know some things are same as they were in the sixties, seventies eighties.
- People buy cheap housing near airport then sue airport for noise.
Yup. Same thing happened in Concord when zMax was going to get built. All these housing developments that were built around the existing race track got up in arms when Burton announced he was going to build zMax. However, there were three things they and the city council failed to recognize when they told Bruton he couldn't build the track:

1. The track was there LONG before their homes were built.
2. The whole area is zoned for motorsports.
3. Bruton Smith has F$CK you money!

It's just an extrapolation of 'concerned homeowners' lobbying to turn their through streets into 25 mph zones. Developers build them 4 lanes wide because there's no other throughs within a mile. Houses sell cheap on that street so young couples buy them then when they have kids squawk about cars doing 35-40 mph so they get it reduced. In violation of state speed limit guidelines.
If I ever get a ticket there I'm going to court and starting the ball rolling to turn them back to 35.
Sorry you have to deal with this. Good luck getting it corrected.

I hate it when people complain about "children in the area".

Take your kids to the park to play.
Send 'em into the BACK yard to play.
The street is for CARS!

·
Registered
3 Posts
This sucks this was the only track that was really close enough for me to make it out to. Atleast that i know of next closest is out in Topeka.

·
Super Moderator
16,833 Posts
Yup. Same thing happened in Concord when zMax was going to get built. All these housing developments that were built around the existing race track got up in arms when Burton announced he was going to build zMax. However, there were three things they and the city council failed to recognize when they told Bruton he couldn't build the track:

1. The track was there LONG before their homes were built.
2. The whole area is zoned for motorsports.
3. Bruton Smith has F$CK you money!

The street is for CARS!
I don't know the happenings recently but I remember Great Lakes Dragway in Union Grove WI was having meetings in regards to noise complaints from new developments a few years ago. It's also within a mile of an airport:rolleyes:

Every time I hear "for the children" thrown about I cringe. NOTHING positive has ever preceded or followed that statement.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
You Kansas City guys are always welcome to come down to Mokan... its just north of Joplin, and its not a bad little race track. Sucks about KCIR.

We'll probably be getting guys from Tulsa as well..

·
PostWhore, The AFDB is on a lil tight.
3,868 Posts

The street is for CARS!
And dead stupid children!
Im sorry but I had a lady follow me back from work and scream in my face about driving fast around the children. OMG in front of a packed restaurant all staring at us. I did a delivery in my awesome 97 grand marquis with stock gears did a one wheel peel and all hell broke loose in my face with threats of jail time . Did I mention this was a school zone street with no children/anyone outside at all.

I have a park site out my front door literally. Its undeveloped though.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
I was in a neighborhood in Lees Summit MO, on my way to a cousins house when I saw a Red Honda backing quickly out of a driveway. It startled me and I swerved left. The Honda didn't actually exit the driveway and nothing happened. I went on my way to my cousins house and when I got out of the car there was the Honda! The guy asked me if I would please NOT speed through his neighborhood! I wasn't speeding at all, I was going about 30-35. I wanted to tell him this and that maybe if he wouldn't back out of his garage at crazy speeds I wouldn't have swerved... But didn't want to cause a scene in front of my Cousins house. I just said I'd try and watch it and walked inside. But it did irritate me.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
It's pretty terrible how this all played out. Most of the drama went on behind the scenes and did not get published on the Media... Go figure...

The sale was under threat of the strip being condemnation from eminent domain. They really had no choice other than selling the strip, which was still profitable and not yet paid off.

There were multiple cruises to City Hall, a petettion of over 6,000 people, plenty of e-mails to our representatives, Talks with city officials, and much more. Our voice was ignored. There was no vote. There was no decision given to the residents on where to spend $1.5 million dollars.

And what did we get for it? An abandoned piece of property for people to park at after a nice night's stay at the stripclub next-door. I Laugh at the thought of this land being a park... Something about Leaded Race Gas being burnt there for many years, and the cost of removing all of the infrastructure of the track. Good luck.

This was simply the city wasting our money to appease the land speculators around the track.... Thank you Kansas City Govornment, May I please have another??

1 - 15 of 15 Posts