TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 95 with an 03 4.6 explorer motor. when cold or not started for 12 hrs I have to crank it 2 or 3 times for up to 5 sec each to get it to start. after it has run it starts fine.I check the fuel pressure koeo has about 3-4 psi once it starts pressure slowly goes up to 37psi' do you think this is a pump problem or something else?

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
What does the fuel pressure do, KOEO, if you cycle the key a few times? Can you hear the pump run for a second or two when cycling the key? When was the fuel filter last changed?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hear the pump cycle. lately I found that if I wait about 15 sec before I try to start it it seem to help. I'm going to try a filter first might as well start with the easiest.
one thing that make me wonder is this morning i couldn't get it started run the battery down a bit. when I got home from work i connected the charger charged the battery and it start fairly easy. wonder if it a voltage issue.

·
The Parts Guy
7,297 Posts
I would stick a new filter on it first, as it's cheap, easy, and couldn't hurt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well, fellow griever, I have exact prob. Put new Motorcraft fuel pump, made exactly ZERO difference, after I had installed a new fuel pressure regulator, which made exactly ZERO difference.

My TBird only has 83k miles, is '97. The fuel sump in the tank was clean.

Next step: fuel pressure gauge to see really what's happening when I turn the engine off.

For now, key on till FP turns off, then key off, then key on, till FP turns off, then key off, then key on, till FP turns off. Then try several crank cycles before it starts. Never misses a beat after running, and I mean, to the floorboard on steep climb, not a single hiccup.

Needless to say, I am a bit PO'd. Afterall, there's only so much dirt you can eat taking off the twin tail muffler t-tube, tank strap bolts, driveshaft anti-crash-into fuel tank cross members, filler hose, crossover hose, evap hose, fuel lines, electrical.

Thank goodness my girlfriend is a rather fine mechanic helper.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info Keith. I'm starting to think I have a voltage problem. I came out of work tried to start it rolled over tried firing battery started going dead. when I got a jump start the car started right up. when I turn the key on the voltage guage is lower then it reads when the car is running. Is it possible to have less then 12v at the battery and have the starter roll the engine over? what would be the best way to check the voltage.

·
Super Moderator
4,922 Posts
Yes, it's possible. And with a voltmeter. But before you start checking TOO much, try cleaning the battery posts and the insides of the battery post clamps. Also all wiring there if any of it's not factory-sealed.

RwP

1 - 8 of 8 Posts