TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it finally happened. Driving home in the rain, and drove through some deep water. Didn't look that deep and was almost through (a few hundred yards from home) when the engine died, and it won't turn over....

So, just what 4.6 engine WILL fit in a T-bird?

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Well it finally happened. Driving home in the rain, and drove through some deep water. Didn't look that deep and was almost through (a few hundred yards from home) when the engine died, and it won't turn over....

So, just what 4.6 engine WILL fit in a T-bird?
Definitely not the northstar or land rover....

seriously though any modular bell housing 4.6 with the rear wheel drive config will "fit".

·
Super Moderator
12,230 Posts
Sorry for your trouble.

But, look on the bright side, it's a great excuse to do the Explorer PI swap/upgrade. I see you've got the PI top end now you can get rid of that iron bottom end and save some weight too.

See Porchop's How-to for all the details.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Believe me, I've thought of the Explorer swap already. But I have VERY limited funds. Might have to get a low mileage Tbird or Crown vic block and make do with what I have. IF I can get the engine together, I'll be looking for friends to meet me in Joplin MO (I hope) at my girlfriends house to put it in. I'll keep posting on progress. If I get my tax refunds I'm expecting I'll be OK.

edit: and thanks for the info on the fitment. I suspected that was the case but wanted to make sure. LOTS of cheap cast iron stuff around and may have to go that way.

·
Voice/Data Guru
7,788 Posts
Sorry to read as well, In your sweet time get that "pretty" red bird back in the air :D One of my favs here on the board .

·
WOT Junkie and avid corn burner
3,734 Posts
Please tell me you seriously didn't try to crank it over while hydrolocked. You can avoid a lot of damage by just removing the spark plugs and then turning it over with the starter to get most of the water out of the cylinders.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Dang Traveler! I'm depressed as all get out to hear that about your ride! That car was one that stuck in my head cause it made good power.

You can get aluminum explorer engines pretty cheap now, check out car-part.com.

Again, I'm sorry to hear about your hydrolock problem.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
I'd pull the plugs and crank it be hand slowly followed by cranking it with the starter to clear it out and put the plugs back in and see if it runs again. If it does see if she rattles, ticks, knocks, etc... It may not be too late and most of all it's free.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the plugs and cranked it slowly, water came from the holes, and now can't turn it at all. My intake system is straight off of an 02-04 Mustang GT from the airbox to the intake manifold. Doesn't reach down much below the filter itself. The water wasn't that deep, all I can think of is maybe it splashed up from the wheel, or a "rogue wave" got in.
The insurance company agreed to pay for damages, but the estimate will surely total out the car. I'll have to buy it back and hope I have enough left over to buy an engine.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Glad you already checked with insurance as I was going to suggest that. I hydrolocked my car a couple months after I had done my swap. We were straight up with my insurance and they were awesome about it.

I had pulled my plugs and cranked it over, shot some water out, etc. Still made a mess of the garage floor with all the water that poured out of the intake manifold when we pulled the engine apart.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ohhhh yea, the estimate is twice what the car is "worth". The estimate is app. 5200 (rebuilt long block plus 18 hours labor). So they came out and took pics of my car to determine its value before writing me a check. I'm hoping there will be enough to buy the car back, and a salvage engine. OR I started looking for other V8 Tbirds to just swap my mods onto a new car. (I mean the heads and intake should still be good.... right? please tell me they should be...)
Anyone got a good 94-97 Tbird they want to sell cheap?

·
Registered
523 Posts
the heads might be junk you could have bent a valve or cracked the head when it hydrolocked

·
Registered
523 Posts
if it helps my shop recently installed a used motor 4.6 with lower miles into a 97 tbird and total price ran around $2700

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
The heads on my hydrolocked engine were still fine. In fact, everything but one rod, one piston, and some of the baffling in the bottom of the oil pan were fine. The other 7 rods and pistons were fine and the oil pan didn't actually have a hole in it and the block was ok. My insurance bought a junk yard engine of similar mileage to my engine and paid for the labor for the engine swap. Although even that would probably total an MN12 these days, still surprised their thought was to rebuild the engine, the parts and labor there ahve to be more than a replacement junk yard engine.

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
Generally, heads don't get damaged on a hydrolocked engine. Rods bend because water doesn't compress, that's usually the extent of it.

My buddy in South Florida worked for Toyota and did hydrolock claims. You see, a new car warranty will NOT cover water damage, but your insurance company will as you've found out. So Brian's job was to investigate new Toyota engine damage to determine if hydrolock was the cause and therefore deny new car warranty drivetrain claim.

·
MAMN12 Posse Member
2,903 Posts
Never hurts to look around and check lots of places. Back in the day, I picked up my 02 PI shortblock from a friend that swapped it out for a forged assembly. I got it for $100 and about $40 in gas to go get it.

·
Premium Member
9,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The insurance adjuster said that after wear and tear, and my deductible, I'd walk with 2275 after I bought the car back. Now gotta find a 96-97 Bird to swap my good parts onto, or find a good explorer motor... cheap.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts