TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I don't want this to be run of the mill, but I couldn't find the answers on search. Or only some tantalizing references but nothing concrete.

I've got a 97 Cougar. The plastic intake started leaking, so its change time. I found one in the salvage yard a while back out of a CV with the aluminum cross over. Took it off and it had all built in gaskets (o-ring looking). Aftermarket, Dorman?

I was looking at it and it seemed to have some chisel, screwdriver marks on it. I never installed it. Doesn't look like anything serious though.

Went to the yard yesterday, found a 97 CV with the cross over newer manifold. Took this one off and surprise...there's a plastic gasket under the throttle body and there were plastic gaskets under the intakes. I took all those as well. This is a Ford unit and has Ford markings. You probably already guessed it when I mentioned gaskets?

Now, my question is which one do I use? Do I have the right parts or are they ones that won't fit on my car? I think I'd prefer to use the Ford manifold just because its stock, so if I do that, can I reuse the original gaskets or buy new ones. Are they expensive? Also, what is the part number or name of that coolant hose under the manifold I should replace?

Ralf

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
The Dorman is junk, use the Ford pieces.

-Miller

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, I can easily go with that. Reuse the gaskets I got off the old car or buy new ones. Are they expensive?

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
I believe they are reusable but I would play it safe and buy new ones.

-Miller

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
DEFINITELY buy new ones. The gaskets can become compressed especially the rubber rings, and spring a leak. They are very inexpensive in my opinion. Roughly $30.00 for the set.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, will buy new ones. What is the latest on Ford dealers that give us discounts. I was here a while ago and Dan was the guy we went to, but then he had some mysterious problems. Did those get resolved?

Or where is the new dealer we check with?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts