TCCoA Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have researched as much as humanly possible here and abroad , and have got some questions . i see by the searching that the pi intake will cause me to lose a lot of low end torque in my bird . seeing as it is foremost a daily / beater and spends it's time in traffic , i don't wish to give up torque or move the powerband way up in the rpm range . i also see and now comprhend how bad my 95 intake is . is there another intake , such as the plastic npi , that will flow better , make a lil' more power and torque , whatever it may be , truck car or otherwise . i have a set of 3.73's and a traclock , but i am probably not going to put them in as i rather like the economy of the car , not too mention being able to exceed the posted speed limits upon ocassion by a good margin , so the 3.08's are gonna stay . hurts the 1/4 mile times considerably but .............. any help guys or reccomendations . i have f5ae heads to swap on , and i am going to get a set of pi cams i hope from nick , to put in at that time too . torque rules on the street as we all know , and with the weight of this old girl well ........ it outweighs me 53 1/2 ton and my 52 customline !!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,148 Posts
Where are you finding people say you lose low end torque? I wouldn't say you lose anything down low, but the gains are certainly up high.

Just curious, because here is the sheet from a few dyno pulls Lonnie ran (granted, I also have a 93 tune from him on my car in addition to PI cams and the intake...): http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=87

·
MN12 Fanatic
1,459 Posts
Back when I had my 97 T-Bird, I did not lose any low end TQ. I just gained high end HP. I had PI cams as well though.

·
Registered
3,902 Posts
You can break posted speed limits even faster with 3.73s ;) It makes passing cars almost effortless. What you have planned sounds cool to me, at least you are going to the F5ae heads. We all know that PI heads would be better stock for stock. PI cams will be nice as well and will work with the NPIs. I still vote for PI intake, no matter what 2v heads you run. If you are looking for an all-plastic one with integral plastic rear nipple...I'm your man. I think the mileage would only suffer if you couldn't keep your foot out of it, which is my problem. Also if you want a Dorman NPI, I am your man.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
+1 for the gear our cars top out at what 110mph? anything over that the whole car starts to shake like hell so you dont want to cruise at anything over a 105mph down the interstate, and the 373 gear will get you to 120mph a whole lot faster than the 3.08s. you dont lose that much gas mileage either ive heard some say as little as 3 mpgs on the highway cruising at 75mph. also if your sitting in stop go traffic the higher gear can give you better gas mileage.
AHH i cant wait for my 373 gear!!! if i wasnt broke paying for college it would be in!!

with the PI intake i definitely lost low end but not alot. it really pulls at 3700+rpms. i would probably wait until you got the PI cams and/or heads before putting it on.

EDIT: dyno charts say differently... hell idk go for it

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok doke well i got the donor 4.6 home , the intake is craked , plastic npi , got the heads off put a straight edge on them and they appeared fine { car got hot and driven 2-3 miles to a " safe " spot to park it } . so no torque loss hmmm . welp maybe i'll reread as i might have misunderstood ... i geuss seeing as a new intake is a requirement i'll go pi . my car is not limited to 110 , i have run her too 120 and some a couple of times and so far no disasters yet , but i dont think i'm gonna chance that great piece of engineering connecting the trans to the diff anymore .......... the heads etc, are not going to go on it till i have al the bits and pieces here to do it quickly . hades that's all i need another inop ford to go with the other three ......:D well thanx fella's for the info , and i'll consider the gear change but not positive yet about that ....... gotta go do some more research as the donor appears to be newer than the vic it came out of . it appears to have cross bolt mains all the way back ..... might have to stick it under the bench for a what if .................. and i'll keep you in mind rob !

·
Premium Member
2,545 Posts
I have a set of PI cams with less than 50k miles on them. They also are bolt on sprockets. They came out of my engine when I installed my ported heads. I'll make you a great deal on them as I'll be Moving to Hawaii next year and need to offload the car parts.

As for the gears then go for it. If you can keep your foot out of the gas then you will do better in the city on has mileage. And then if you wanna hammer it they are fun. I kinda want 4.10s. Interstate you will only lose a couple MPG. Not bad and totally worth it. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
my problem with the gears kinda stems from the past and present vehicles that have had them . they always got crappy mileage , but super performance . my 53 has a flatty , heavy 4 speed and 3.92's and it gets crappy mileage no matter what , although one doesn't expect a flatty to be super efficient . then my 52 has a low 3 series in it and will buzz down the road at the posted limit or much more if so desired gets in excess of 20 which is really good for one of these ol' flatty powered crates . admittedy i'm comparing apples to oranges but it is nice not hearing the engine screaming going down the road . so it's really undecided yet . now if i buy this lil' v-6 ranger with a bad accumulator valve in the tranny for 200 to beat on weeeeelllllllllllll .......................................... i do got a question maybe one of ya's can answer . whats the bolt pattern measurement on the small pattern flexplate that we need for a smaller converter ??????? i think this freebie might have it saving me a couple more bucks ............

·
Super Moderator
10,302 Posts
anything over that the whole car starts to shake like hell
You really need to fix your car; none of mine are like that at all.

My cars are smooth as glass way up there. :)

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got a couple of real long 'shaft's out of some old ford trucks long gone , more than long enough for the bird , that i've been eyeing to take and have cut down . might be a lil heavy , but they're here and they're free ................ 3 inch in diameter too out of a real old 56 f600 i had ..............

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
you mention a 3" driveshaft, whats the largest diameter driveshaft you gan put in a tbird and not collide with anything?
I've seen ppl on here say they are running 4" aluminum driveshafts, so they must fit!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts